Fermenting, Bottling Belgian Golden Strong

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joeyuwp

Reaction score
I've seen several different ways to do each when searching the interwebs. Some say begin ferment mid 60s and ramp to 80 and hold to finish (some include a cold crash), then bottle. Others say 68-54-68 (BYO) then bottle. Others include a lagering stage.

Bottling is same thing with some saying to add yeast, others not. Some say bottle condition cold, others say 75 then cold.

Anyone have a method that has had great results for them or recommendations?

I've never heard of lagering really any Belgian style ale.

I use the free rise method for ALL of the Belgian beers I make. Belgian yeasts are notorious for being finicky and not attenuating properly if you dont let them get warm. Pitch under 60deg and let it free rise, trust me. Mid 80s after 2-3 days would be fine. I sometimes use a jacket to insulate the fermentor and hold in heat. For saisons, I take this a step further and crank it up past 90.

The good thing is, Belgian yeasts produce more fruity esters that they are known for the warmer you ferment them. You really never need to add more yeast at bottling. Even in lagers, there is almost always enough yeast in suspension that you cant see to carb the beer.

My experience thus far with big belgians, I don't have temperature control... Yes, I'm that type of heathen. But, I would say that adding fresh yeast at bottling is a good idea. I've had other 9-10% beers carbonate without fresh yeast, it just takes forever. I will be doing fresh active yeast on the tripel I have fermenting currently in the 66-67F range, I will not be doing any fancy temp changes or cold crashing. Let it go for 2 weeks at my basements ambient, add fresh yeast and priming solution and bottling.

Edit: Not to discount what moops is saying. I pitch warm and just let it rocket through, it will stick in the 70s for 3+ days and start to fall to ambient where I let it ride for the next week and a half.

Back