What is this? Eggs?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mccoconnor

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
On the underside of my cascade. Every leaf I looked at has these egg looking objects all over. Took a picture. Anyone know what it is ... or will be? Impending mite problem? I had mites last year but got rid of them easily with castille soap and water. Are they back? I have some leaf damage but not much and not as widespread as these egg things. Hopefully it's nothing.
Thanks for your help.

IMG_0373.jpg

OMG !! Burn your plant before it propagate everywhere !! :p

Just kidding... it's lupulin glands. Yes, they are also under the leaves.

Didn't know. ? I don't remember seeing this last year. ?
Does this mean that for my next DIPA I'm throwing the leaves in the boil? :)
Thanks for your reply.

I think the heat brings lupulin beads out - and we've had one hella hot and dry May. I usually don't start seeing those 'til mid-summer...

Cheers!

Does this mean that for my next DIPA I'm throwing the leaves in the boil? :)
Thanks for your reply.

Why not !! :)

It does contain oils, but less than in the cones. I have seen a governmental study last year about using the leaves for medicinal/pharmaceutical usage... increasing the revenue per plant. It was for extracting xanthohumol, which is supposed to have antitumor effect. Xanthohumol is supposed to be more present in leaves than in cones.

So...we drink lots of extra-hoppy beer to kill off tumors?

Now that's a therapy I can get behind! :mug: :mug: :mug:

Cheers! ;)

Hahaha, any reason is good to drink beer !! The document I found was saying that heat was destroying the xanthohumol... so you probably want to dry hop with your leaves, that way you have an excellent "remedy" (reason to drink beer). :mug:

Back