Time to Move to Kegging

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NadoHawk

Reaction score
So today was the straw that broke the camel's back when it came to bottling (I have already been itching to keg, but this instance takes the cake).....I was transferring from the fermentor to the bottling bucket after spending a couple hours preparing (sanitizing dozens of bottles) when the auto-siphon tubing kicked the bottling bucket over spilling nearly 6 gallons all over the garage....let's just say I got into hot water over that one. Ended up getting 5 bottles worth out of the whole fiasco. Only saving grace was the beer didn't taste that good out of the fermentor anyway.

So, tangent aside, I am looking at kegging but am not into spending a lot of money and also want more control of it as a homebrewer rather than buying a kegerator and then having to convert it anyway for homebrew.

I am looking at Keg Connection and Kegerator.com (better price for the dual-guage regulator) for the best prices, but does anyone know of better places? I also would like to know if there are sites where they charge less than 65 for a 5-gallon CO2 tank seeing as how I will probably have to exchange it anyway.

I was looking at the 7.1 Igloo Chest Freezer from Best Buy http://www.bestbuy.com/site/igloo-7-1-cu-ft-chest-freezer-white/4584005.p?id=1219098811096

Does anyone have any experience with that model? If so, could I get 3 kegs into it with a collar? I would like four (well really six), but I don't want to take up much space. What should I consider between Pin (including the converted Ball-Locks) and Ball Lock kegs in terms of spacing?

Any other recommendations would be helpful. I feel if I don't start kegging, I will lose the joy of homebrewing, which was assured to me was more unacceptable than spilling beer all over the garage.

So today was the straw that broke the camel's back when it came to bottling (I have already been itching to keg, but this instance takes the cake).....I was transferring from the fermentor to the bottling bucket after spending a couple hours preparing (sanitizing dozens of bottles) when the auto-siphon tubing kicked the bottling bucket over spilling nearly 6 gallons all over the garage....let's just say I got into hot water over that one. Ended up getting 5 bottles worth out of the whole fiasco. Only saving grace was the beer didn't taste that good out of the fermentor anyway.

So, tangent aside, I am looking at kegging but am not into spending a lot of money and also want more control of it as a homebrewer rather than buying a kegerator and then having to convert it anyway for homebrew.

I am looking at Keg Connection and Kegerator.com (better price for the dual-guage regulator) for the best prices, but does anyone know of better places? I also would like to know if there are sites where they charge less than 65 for a 5-gallon CO2 tank seeing as how I will probably have to exchange it anyway.

I was looking at the 7.1 Igloo Chest Freezer from Best Buy http://www.bestbuy.com/site/igloo-7-1-cu-ft-chest-freezer-white/4584005.p?id=1219098811096

Does anyone have any experience with that model? If so, could I get 3 kegs into it with a collar? I would like four (well really six), but I don't want to take up much space. What should I consider between Pin (including the converted Ball-Locks) and Ball Lock kegs in terms of spacing?

Any other recommendations would be helpful. I feel if I don't start kegging, I will lose the joy of homebrewing, which was assured to me was more unacceptable than spilling beer all over the garage.

You can get 4 ball locks in most 7.1 cu ft chest freezers. Don't know if 4 pin locks will fit, as they are larger diameter. With the right height collar, you should be able to put a 5 lb tank up on the compressor step.

Check out the sticky on kegs fitting in freezers.

Check out @ezryder for good prices on used CO2 tanks (good to swap for full tank). PM him for prices and availability. I had a good experience buying from him, and others report the same.

Brew on :mug:

ezryder for sure. I'm going to pick up a twenty# CO2 and also a Nitro 20CF tank in the next couple of days.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=377518

Size recommendations for what you're trying to put in waterer size freezer you're working with.

Keg Connection right now has me sold on their bundles for converting home fridges into keezers with a lot of SS options to include Perlick faucets

When I was looking for kegs I found that this was a good site.

http://www.homebrewing.org/Economy-Keg-Systems_c_24.html

I actually ended up finding a kegerator with two ball lock kegs, beer lines, a cO2 tank and regulator for $150 on craigslist. I highly recommend this as you will always find deals. The biggest issue is having enough patience to wait for a good deal to show up (but one always will).

Cheers!

Craigs is probably the cheapest place to get all that stuff. Just find new prices first so you know what's up. $50/ball lock is pretty standard.

fbz_70fd418ffbc490708108d974be05e887.jpg

homebrewing.org has brand new ball locks on sale for $75 and uses pin locks for $40

I recently purchased the exact freezer. It will easily fit 4 ball lock kegs. Im still in the process of building my collar as I'm taking it slow cause the price of a keezer when its all said and done adds up! haha.

+1 on ezryder! Purchased a 10# tank from him. Fast shipping

I recently purchased the exact freezer. It will easily fit 4 ball lock kegs. Im still in the process of building my collar as I'm taking it slow cause the price of a keezer when its all said and done adds up! haha.

+1 on ezryder! Purchased a 10# tank from him. Fast shipping

Can you post pics of the build once you get going again?

Yeah. I am seeing how expensive it can get, especially when you put in the bells and whistles.

I'd call around locally on the co2 tank. Some places just swap tanks. Then I believe some may not fill 5 lb tanks but will do 10 lb.

Two ways to do it:
  1. Impulsively pay for stuff you "have to have now"
  2. Take your time and find bargains.
Both work, one costs more.

My 1st kegerator was a used single spout Danby model I scored on CL for $200. I converted it to a double spout and it is still in service at my brother's lake house. Two different keezer collar builds later give me the option for a 3 or 4 tap presentation, while the other acts as fermentation tank.

Freezers and wood are cheap. Spend your money on expensive beer line and quick disconnects. Make sure your regulator has a check valve. Taps and shanks are more expensive than you think, but become the foundation of your system and should last a long time with the occasional gasket replacement.

Good luck, it gets silly $$$ if you're not too careful.

...So, tangent aside, I am looking at kegging but am not into spending a lot of money and also want more control of it as a homebrewer rather than buying a kegerator and then having to convert it anyway for homebrew.

Not sure what you consider a lot of money but no two ways about it, kegging cost real money to get it properly set up and flowing. Try Ritebrew.com for decent prices on faucets and kegging parts.

For CO2 tank, check out local welding shops. They will sell you a full tank for around $65 then do tank swaps thereafter. You can also check paintball shops or fire extinguisher service centers for refills.

I used the 7.1 cf Igloo for my keezer. It will hold 3 kegs in the main compartment and 1 on the hump if you use a collar. Click on the Coffin Top Keezer Build: link in my sig below for a look.

I chose ball-lock kegs that have the manual relief valve in the lid. Pin-locks will save you some money but you'll loose the relief valve. Check out Beveragelements.com for decent prices on kegs.

Good luck!!

:mug:

Sorry for your lost beer. Can you post a pic of the spill? You know, just for educational purposes. And I apologize for laughing when I read the beer wasn't that good anyway. I'm like that.

Anyhow, as a bottler, I just wanted to chime in that it seems easier to knock over a keg while racking than a bottling bucket. But maybe I misunderstood the issue due to the laughter. If so, never mind. And good luck with kegging!

+1000 on a check valve. I just got into kegs myself and managed to get beer straight up through the regulator on my first force-carb. Or if you want more than one tap, get a manifold with check valves built in.

As was posted above you can almost certainly get 4 ball locks into that freezer. But it may be a fairly snug fit and I doubt you'd get 4 pin-locks into it. Check the freezer spec sheet hyperlink posted earlier or post your inside dimensions here and one of us can check them against our own installations.

Keg Connection is a good and reliable source, they have everything you need and will set it up to your specs if you give them a call. Might spend a couple dollars more (or maybe not) but you'll get what you need the first time. Adventures in Homebrewing sold me some used ball-locks at a good price but I'm sure there are other sources just as good.

If you can spring for a 10# CO2 cylinder it will end up being cheaper in the long run. The cost of refilling a 5# cyl. will probably eat up the savings in purchase price pretty quickly, not to mention the hassle of running out more often. Welding shop refills are cheapest IMO. For a 10# cyl. a 5" collar will give adequate clearance for the regulator assembly. I built my collar at 9" because I wanted the keezer top to be closer to bar height and I have tons of room.

The pic below shows the inside with my first CO2 cylinder (a 5 pounder) before I bit the bullet and upgraded to 10#. (Trust me, it costs more if you buy one and then replace it!)

Another thing I learned was to be careful when you measure for the shank lengths. I bought them too long and they interfere with the ability to easily change out the kegs. Measure the thickness of your collar and add about 1 1/4" to get your shank length. This should accommodate the threads on your tap + the threads on the hexnut for the tailpiece. A little longer is better than shorter but if you overdo it you'll create some clearance issues like I did.

Cheers!

keezer 4.jpg

keezer 3.jpg

I went to keg connection for my stuff. I did not impulsively buy, but I did pretty much buy all at once. I tried to piece together things on CL, but it had started to take months and months. The time and driving I spent dealing with CL deals was eating into my perceived savings.

Now, I really want to know how vinyl tubing knocked over 6 gallons of beer.

Can you post pics of the build once you get going again?

Yeah. I am seeing how expensive it can get, especially when you put in the bells and whistles.

Are you on instagram, posting the progress on "hapabrewing"

I have a five tap kegerator inside (chest build) and a two tap outside (fridge build). I purchased everything plus extra kegs from keg connection. They have great prices and customer service. I called and spoke to them and got exactly what I need each time. I started with a three tap inside but ended with no extra parts when I upgraded.

I have a nitro tap inside and that keg is ball lock, all others are pin lock. I like the ball lock better. When I ordered the nito setup from keg connection they sent it with a ball lock keg by mistake. When I called they simply asked what it would do to make it right and I asked for a second ball lock keg for rotation. They mailed one that day.

I started with a five pound CO2 tank and now use 20 pound takes. My recommendation is go ahead and get a 20 lb from a local welding shop so that you can swap. Call around. I found that the tank prices can vary by $30.

Good luck kegging!

outside tap.jpg

keezer.jpg

Thanks for all the advise; looks like I will spend more for stainless steel. I found a store a few miles away from where I work which is having a decent sale to the point where I can afford a secondary regulator setup and can get new kegs with stainless steel handle (looks better than the rubber handle) and comes out around the same price of the AIH version when you compare taxes to shipping. How is Kegco for quality and do kegs need to really be NSF certified.?

http://www.beveragefactory.com/draf...-pro-series-secondary-co2-beer-regulator.html

For kegs
https://beveragelements.com/beverag...ck-keg-stainless-steel-reconditioned-class-3/
They are class 3 but I got 2 and the black rubber was complete on top except for one cut out handle not like their pic shows. $37 each and shipping on 2 was $17.
Found the kegging kit tank ,reg, hoses etc. on craigslist for $100
Unless you gotta have new kegs no one sees them in the freezer Beer tastes just as good from a clean old keg as it does a clean new keg

Just so others can avoid this mishap in the future, how did tubing manage to knock over a 48 POUND (+/-) container of liquid?

Inquiring minds...

All the Best,
D. White

Latest posts

Back