Damn, me again... drunk and scared again

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

katfude

Reaction score
So this is my second dumb thread because I screwed up.

Here's my recipe:

Steeping:
2 lb carared
4 oz special b
1 lb caravienne

60 min boil
4 lb 4.0 linter Breiss dry golden extract
1.5 lb 2.0 linter Breiss pilsner dry extract
1oz Perle hops

20 mins left
.5 oz Styrian Goldings

10 mins left
1 lb Amber candi sugar
8 oz turbinado sugar
.5 oz Styrian Goldings
1 tablet of whirlfloc tablet

Boil volume was 2.5gal, top up water was 1.5gal.

After cooling to 70 degrees farenheit, well aerated with a pump/stone for 10 minutes:
Pitching 1 pack gigayeast trappist tripet GY015

I came with a OG of 1.100. Here's the problem: I pitched the yeast before I took the gravity. Damnit.

Everything went smoothly except for that. Being a drunk brewer, this was a minor mistake (drank a full bomber of barleywine AND 12% mead during the brew) comparatively.

How much higher would a roughly 200 billion cell slurry add to the wort?

Unless you had a big starter, not much.

Have you tried using candi syrup rather than candi sugar? There's a thread on here somewhere (started by snickosaurus rex) about making your own with sugar and DAP and it's DELICIOUS. Adds more flavour than candi sugar.

I will definitely look into that thread as this is my first, but not last, foray into Belgian beers.

No starter, just pitched a recent gigayeast GY015. Not too concerned about attenuation, honestly I kind of hope it's on the soft side.

I plan on adding a can of cherry puree (whatever the hell amount is in the standard can of cherry puree they sell at homebrew stores) to the beer in the secondary.

Any ideas on plus or minus OG? Any tips or tricks on not screwing this up beyond RDWHAHB?

the OG only really matters for measuring abv. and for checking your efficiency. if you don't mind being drunk while brewing, i'm guessing you don't really care about efficiency too much? ;)
you didn't screw anything up except some information, that isn't necessarily vital to this beer becoming beer. the important reading is the FG.

Honestly, you know what the fermentable sugars are that you put into this, so you know you're going to be close to 1.10 +\- a few percentage points as long as you hit your target volume. That's the nice thing about extract brewing. So just go with 1.10 OG when calculating your ABV. As long as you don't get drunk before bottling and remember to take the FG!

With 3.25 pounds of crystal/caramel malt, I'm not sure how well this will attenuate even if the proper amount of yeast was pitched. The recipe is flawed, and things like the amber candi sugar won't really help. You've got 5.5 pounds of extract, and 5 pounds of other 'stuff', so I wouldn't expect very good results in the end, sorry to say.

With one package of yeast (and unknown how old it is for cell count) into a beer that size it's going to lag - be aware and don't freak out if it doesn't do anything for a couple days.

I did something similar once and way underpitched a quad not realizing how old the yeast was and how high the OG ended up. My lag time was 3 days exact, and then it took off like a monster and was spitting foam for a week straight using Trappist HG.

Leave it, watch it, and once you start to see a kruezen form put a blow-off tube on it - this is your warning.

:D

Well I slept off any possible hangover and the airlock is going insane, so no worries about lag time. I still did almost everything right, just took the reading too late. Not the first time I've done that.

I definitely went too heavy on the crystal steeping. I need to switch to partial mash as I want to play with flavors more but am doing it the wrong way.

My estimate for you, assuming everything went into 4 gallons total:

- 5.5 lbs of extract will contribute 253 points, (or .063 in 4 gallons).
- 8 ozs of sugar will contribute 23 points (or .006).
- 1 lb of candi sugar will contribute 36 points (or .009).

This will get you to 1.078.

The steeping grains are more of a guess. 3.25 lbs of crystal will get you close to 50 points, or another .013 in 4 gallons. And that is wayyyyyyyy toooooo much crystal for a Belgian ........ Or even for most if not all beers.

My estimate of your OG is 1.091. It will vary with your volume. This assumes 4 gallons.

It will end sweet for a Belgian, as the crystal contribution of .013 is mostly unfermentable. My guess at FG would be 1.020 to 1.025, even with the high amount off simple sugar.

You don't need extra yeast. Generally Belgians create more esters when under-pitched, which a lot of people try for.

So the beer did end up at a 1.15 FG, which is pretty darn good with my inherently flawed recipe. I'll be dumping some cherry puree into a secondary and transferring it on top of it shortly.

I expected this to be very sweet, but it seems that most everything fermented into straight alcohol as it definitely tastes a bit hot and there's not much aroma or complexity to it.

With the ABV somewhere in the 9%-11% range that isn't surprising. I'll leave it be in the secondary with the cherries for a good month I think.

Back