wheat session recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kyle_g

Reaction score
Hey folks, I've finally gotten around to upgrading to all grain recently, and have brewed a few recipes I've come across here, and I'm looking to try my own. I'm shooting for a sessionable, citrusy wheat IPA here. I'm thinking I've gone a bit hop overboard for the size of the beer, so any advice would be great. Originally i had about .25oz of Columbus at 60 min to bitter, but found my late addition hops got me where I needed, so it was removed. Would I be better off backing off the 10min hops slightly and add the Columbus? My other question is on the yeast to use. I've been using Wyeast 1056 for my previous two west coast IPAs, but would their American Wheat Ale yeast work better here?

5lbs wheat malt (52.1%)
3lbs 9oz 2 row (20srm) (37.5%)
0.5lb Crystal 20 (5%)
.5lbs rice hulls

1oz Amarillo @ 10min
.5oz Citra @ 10min
1oz Amarillo @ 5min
1oz Citra @ 5min
.5oz Mosaic @ 5min
1oz each of Amarillo, Citra and Mosaic at flame out
1oz Amarillo, .5 each Mosaic and Citra to dry hop for 3 days

Mashed at 152, Og is expected to be 1.048 and about 40 ibu.

Thanks for the help!

I think 1056 would work well for this. Nottingham, Northwest ale or BRY 97 would probably be good too.
I can't comment on the hops schedule.

If you've not done many wheat beers I'd be tempted in switching around the quantities of wheat and barley malt.

I've done a few hefeweizens that have come out well, and I've managed to not stick any mashes.

Sounds good. You could consider blending the yeasts if the 1056 is too clean. Not that you'll notice much with the amount of hops, though.

I'm a fan of the 1010 American wheat yeast. Its pretty clean crisp yeast. I have used S 05 but prefer the 1010. Citra is great finishing hop for a American wheat, that with a little Amarrilo is my go to now days.

Thanks for the advice on the yeast, I'll probably stick with the 1056. Any input on the hop schedule would be great.

I thnk the hop schedule looks great for an easy dirnking wheat. Be sure to do a hopstand for 30min or so to really get those hops to shine. Other than that the only other advice I have is the fermentation temp. Generally with wheat yeasts, the lower 60s will give you more clove and closer to 70 will be more banana. Try to shoot for wheatever will go better with your hop character

I'll probably use the 1056 yeast for this guy. What should I look for in fermenting temperatures for it?

pitch around 62 and try to keep it below 70 and it'll turn out great. I usually aim for 65 and let it warm to 68 to finish up

congrats on the move to all-grain and designing your own recipes. I think you'll find drinking a homebrew that you not only brewed yourself, but also conceived and even ground the grains for, is a much more rewarding experience.

oh and just a heads up, wheat based beers can have pretty violent fermentations so it may behoove you to rig a blowoff tube to your fermentor as a precaution. Nothing worse than coming home from work and seeing your airlock was blown across the room and krausen all over the wall

Back