Thermometers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Leblais

Reaction score
Hey guys... I posted in the equipment area but I think my question may be better suited to you guys.

I bought 3 blichmann weldless thermometers for my Keggle set up but since they are prone to breakage due to heat, I was thinking that there MUST be a better product.

What do you guys use for thermometers on your rigs?? What is the approx cost for 3 of them? What brands are best? Thermowells??

Any help would be appreciated

I've been using Blichmann thermometers on my HLT's for 3+ years. I've never had one break. Now, if you're using on a BK, then WHY? Boiling is boiling. I use a Cooper long probe in my BK while chilling/whirlpooling to monitor my progress and adjust pump flow if I think it's needed.

I use RTD's from Omega Engineering. In my HLT, mashing tun and kettles they are not in thermowells and have been whacked many time by my mash paddle but that doesn't seem to destroy them (as yet). In my fermenters they are in thermowells.

Boiling is boiling? I wish it were. I have recorded some amazing temperature profiles during 'boiling'. I can't explain them unless it is a lack of circulation in certain parts of the kettle for brief periods of time.

Boil kettle to monitor cooling. Not exceptionally necessary though I guess. Just seemed since I was going to put them on the other 2 why not have them all look similar. What kind of set up are you using? My base gets red hot when I am heating up my water and I dont want to risk drilling a hole in my Keggles just to have the thermometers break and then get another type of thermometer, which will most likely have a different size hole. A cooper long probe?? Ill check that out

I've been using Blichmann thermometers on my HLT's for 3+ years. I've never had one break. Now, if you're using on a BK, then WHY? Boiling is boiling. I use a Cooper long probe in my BK while chilling/whirlpooling to monitor my progress and adjust pump flow if I think it's needed.

Those are pretty expensive huh? How do you mount them? Which model do you have? What unit do they plug into?

I use RTD's from Omega Engineering. In my HLT, mashing tun and kettles they are not in thermowells and have been whacked many time by my mash paddle but that doesn't seem to destroy them (as yet). In my fermenters they are in thermowells.

Boiling is boiling? I wish it were. I have recorded some amazing temperature profiles during 'boiling'. I can't explain them unless it is a lack of circulation in certain parts of the kettle for brief periods of time.

Blichmann thermometers are top quality. Why would you think they would break from the heat. I have been on these forums for 4 years and have never seen any complaints.

I doubt there are any others that would be any more fool proof. Unless something designed for lab use at extremes, I would expect something like that to cost $$$$$$.

They're only prone to breaking if using propane and there is a ton of heat, so I'm not sure if this is the right place to ask or not. Anyway, for propane boils I've used a Megapot for quite some time and that uses a Blichmann thermometer. I have never had any issues whatsoever.

Those are pretty expensive huh? How do you mount them? Which model do you have? What unit do they plug into?

Yes, as I recall they weren't cheap. I've had them for over 10 yrs now. Don't remember the model number but they look like these:
http://www.omega.com/pptst/PR-18.html
Current price seems to be about $100 a pop. Not too bad.
They thread into NPT bushings on my vessels (stainless steel drums). They are wired to Omega PID controllers.

I think they would break from heat because the manufacturer install sheet states that it is only safe for use up to 140 degrees. And it literally States that if u cannot hold your hand where u plan to mount it, then it is too hot. I use propane and the keggle gets VERY hot.

If u guys are telling me that u think it will not break, then I'll try it. That's why I am asking here. Sometimes manufacturers under rate items to make sure that they cover their butt. Is that the case here?

Blichmann thermometers are top quality. Why would you think they would break from the heat. I 9405511899223855459453
have been on these forums for 4 years and have never seen any complaints.

I doubt there are any others that would be any more fool proof. Unless something designed for lab use at extremes, I would expect something like that to cost $$$$$$.

I used a Thermopen for everything for years. More recently I got a 2-channel BBQ thermometer from Thermoworks in addition.

Being able move a fast accurate probe to various spots in the mash is much more revealing then have a fixed thermometer at the edge of the MLT.

I probably should have mentioned that right off the bat. The fact that I use propane, that is. The base gets cherry red hot. I have 200k btu burners so they put out a hot of heat. They heat up my converted Keg kettles.

Yes I was thinking of that too, but the probe would need to be pretty deep because I'm using a concerted Keg and it's deep. I may use this in addition, to check consistency

I used a Thermopen for everything for years. More recently I got a 2-channel BBQ thermometer from Thermoworks in addition.

Being able move a fast accurate probe to various spots in the mash is much more revealing then have a fixed thermometer at the edge of the MLT.

I think they would break from heat because the manufacturer install sheet states that it is only safe for use up to 140 degrees. And it literally States that if u cannot hold your hand where u plan to mount it, then it is too hot. I use propane and the keggle gets VERY hot.

If u guys are telling me that u think it will not break, then I'll try it. That's why I am asking here. Sometimes manufacturers under rate items to make sure that they cover their butt. Is that the case here?

Don't go by me.. I don't own one.

Just looked this up.

Caution: As with all bimetal thermometers, do not install the thermometer in a location on the pot
where it will be subjected to excessive heat from high BTU propane burners. Always keep the flame low
enough that it does not roll over the corners of the pot. Doing so will damage the seals in the
hermetically sealed case causing the inside to fog. This failure is not covered under warranty. If you
cannot comfortably hold your hand on the case of the thermometer during operation is too hot (about
140F max). A minimum distance of 6” from the bottom of the pot is recommended, but does not
guarantee it will be below 140F. If the surface is still too hot, installing a heat shield (not provided)
under the thermometer is recommended. Lastly, avoid direct spray of water on the thermometer and do
not immerse it in water for cooling of cleaning.

This relates to the heat on the outside, not the heat of the wort. You can mount the thermometer where the direct heat will not get to it or to shield it from the flame.

I still would not expect any problems from using one, if you follow the mounting instructions.

Keep in mind that the bimetal spring is in the dial assembly. If more heat is reaching it from flue gas than is coming up the conductive rod you will not be measuring the temperature of the wort.

Boil kettle to monitor cooling. Not exceptionally necessary though I guess. Just seemed since I was going to put them on the other 2 why not have them all look similar. What kind of set up are you using? My base gets red hot when I am heating up my water and I dont want to risk drilling a hole in my Keggles just to have the thermometers break and then get another type of thermometer, which will most likely have a different size hole. A cooper long probe?? Ill check that out

I have two SS Update International kettles. My HLT is a 10 gal w/ a Blichmann thermometer & a sight glass. My BK is a 15 gal. I use an adjustable pick up on the drain port and I have a DIY copper recirc tube that feeds back into the bottom during chilling. I monitor the temp of the wort behind the inflow to get a more realistic idea of the wort temp.
I have both a 7 & 10 gal Rubbermaid round cooler w/ copper manifolds for my MLT's.

I just bought the same one with the BBQ kit AND a 12" probe too. My father in law has the same one for cooking and I know of the quality, accuracy and the durability. We also do some professional cooking so this will come in handy there too. I think this will be a good addition to my brewing, even if it only is a supplement to my Blichmann weldless thermometers. Either way, it cant hurt and if the Blichmann stop working, I KNOW this unit will keep on ticking!

Back