AIPA Blind test?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Had #7 the other day on tap. I thought it was the best IPA I had ever drank. But since I had never heard of it, I chalked it up to not have tasted a beer in months.

Heavy Seas - Loose Canon

Some nice surprises on the list.

After hearing much praise on this list and off the list about delicious IPA from stone I had to try it. Not all that impressed. Don't get me wrong it's a great IPA but it more or less tasted just like lemon juice and tea with a strong bitterness.

Lunch is a good beer but I like regular Sculpin better (especially when you can get it in a can...so delicious and the aroma is amazing). For Main Beer Company I really recommend King Titus which is their American Porter.

Interesting list - I think their methodology was pretty solid. I'd like to see them do the same test with IIPAs.

Fun list. There are some beers on here I've never tried, some I've never heard of, and some are my favorites. Subjective though the list might be, as NewJersey notes, it's great to rank these based on their merits, rather than on their reputation or marketing.

I'm madly in love with Anti-Hero IPA right now. I picked it up having never heard of it, and was blown away. I'm definitely making a trip to the brewery in May and I cannot wait. Had I been on the tasting panel, it definitely would not have stopped at 28.

I also just tried Smuttynose Rhye IPA. I liked it, but I think it was the beer to ruin me on the Chico strain. I kept thinking about what it could be, rather than what it is.

Oh, also, I was pretty disappointed to not see Three Floyds on the list! I realize their distribution sucks right now, but some of the beers left out of the competition were ringers.

I bought a 6er of the Grapefruit Sculpin because of this list.........I liked it. Be careful if you ever get a 6er of the Habanero Sculpin........

a buddy of mine had this to say about Maine Beer Co.

"That's funny two and number five. Would have never thought. We were there, a bunch of us, last July and sampled several of their beers. I wouldn't rate it that high though."

Back