please critique recipe idea

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dixon9717

Reaction score
10 lb 2 row
2 lb Wheat
.5 lb crystal 60
20 qts water
mash at 152* for 60 min.
lauder
16qts strike water 170* 30 min.
lauder
60 min boil
.5 oz Santiam 60 min
1 oz cascade 15 min
1 oz cryatal 10 min
.5 oz santiam 5 min
2 oz orange zest 5 min

Irish moss 10 min

cool to 62* pitch S-05 hydrated

after initial fermentation, when Krausen falls add 4 lbs frozen mango chunks.
let it rest for two weeks...
according to brewersfriend...
OG 1.055
FG 1.010
ABV 5.91%
IBU 28.01
SRM 6.93
Didn't calculate the Mango into brewersfriend because I didn't know how to and I want to wait long enough not to ferment the fruit but to just add the flavor.
any positive criticism is greatly appreciated.
Don't really know what I'm doing yet so leaning on you more experienced brewers for help. thanks.........

I think it looks good. I don't have experience with santiam hops so I can't comment much there. I think if it were me, I'd leave the crystal out or use a lighter crystal (10-20L) or replace it with a little honey malt.

The mango will kick off a secondary fermentation so make sure to let it ferment out to avoid bottle bombs. Adding fruit is one of the few times I use a secondary fermenter.

For someone who "doesn't know what they are doing yet", this looks solid! Brew it up and see what you like!

Looks fine to me. I myself like crystal 60 for color, but YMMV. I have also not used santiam hops, so I can't speak to those, but I have done some fruit beers, and having a lot of hops with beers that have fruit in them tends to muddy up the flavor, cover the hops, or cover up the fruit. I guess it comes down to what you want from the beer.

I would either tone down the late addition hops (maybe an ounce in the last 15 minutes instead of 2.5) or tone down the fruit (~2 lbs instead of 4). By all means try what you like, just offering my $0.02.

Cheers! :mug:

ZB

Thanks I'll use your advice and tone down the late addition hops. That was a concern I had. The reason for the Crystal 60 is because it's what I have.
Appreciate the input guys..

Latest posts

Back