base malts combo

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hopsnhawks

Reaction score
my last brew was a maris otter SMaSH and I loved it

got me thinking I wouldn't mind using it as my base malt but I'm a cheap bastard and would rather direct my limited homebrew funds towards hops

does anyone ever split the base malt between 2 Row and maris otter/golden promise (say 6 pounds of each)?

I know the savings would be negligible but just trying to work out a solid House recipe

I do this frequently in my American beers where I want some more intensity to the bready malt flavors. Works nicely.

The other thing to consider that a lot of probreweries do is mostly two row with about 5-15% Munich malt for this same effect. Slightly different character but same idea. That would be slightly more cost effective.

But really, what's the difference in cost you're paying? Isn't it coming out to just a couple bucks per batch to use Maris?

IMHO you can get more bang for the buck from a beer than than splitting base malts with MO. It's not that unique, even though it's a special variety of barley.

I do actually a LOT and get fantastic results really. I think i started doing it a while ago because i noticed firestone walker does it quite a bit and they make awesome beers. I dont think the money savings is really much (talking less than a few dollars, but i still do it just to give a little more complexity to my beers. Have mixed MO with 2 row, Pils and MO, GP and 2 row all with fantastic results. Not always 50 50 either.

I'm not sure if this is a real thing or just a weird observation, but I seem to get better attenuation when I blend Maris with two row. Great way to get the attenuation of an American beer with that British character.

Just go back and read your first comment and change it to make sense.

IMHO you can get more bang for the buck from a beer than than splitting base malts with MO. It's not that unique, even though it's a special variety of barley.

Lets see.

IMHO you can get more action from a prostitute if she's alive, and just hope for the best if she's not and you're splitting the blame. It's not that unique, even though it's a special situation.

Lets see.

IMHO you can get more action from a prostitute if she's alive, and just hope for the best if she's not and you're splitting the blame. It's not that unique, even though it's a special situation.

I'm claiming victory for Smelly.

moto has spoken.

Back