Anything to really take notice of?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MustangCF

Reaction score
I have a stout fermenting and while there is some evidence that some (very little) bubbly krausen, at some point, built up, now there's just what appears to be flocculated yeast floating on top of the wort. I put this in the fermenter on 5 days ago. SG has definitely dropped, so I'm not concerned that fermentation is taking place. I just haven't seen yeast look quite like this before. That being said I did pitch Lallemand Nottingham Ale yeast for the first time. Perhaps this is just the way this yeast strain acts?

cRb7aXl.jpg

Anyway, I'm not horribly concerned if something is wrong with this batch... I'll certainly have learned something, but I thought I'd ask here for any extra info.

Thanks!

I've had beers with an astonishing amount of break material in the fermeter. You may lose a fair amount of beer to the saturated break material but the resultant beer should be amazingly clear, if um, it weren't a stout.

I've had beers with an astonishing amount of break material in the fermeter. You may lose a fair amount of beer to the saturated break material but the resultant beer should be amazingly clear, if um, it weren't a stout.

Thanks! Good to know. I can't wait to enjoy my super clear stout. :D

Looks like yeast rafts with a lil krausen left-overs to me. But that green-ish slime just right of center concerns me though.

Looks like yeast rafts with a lil krausen left-overs to me. But that green-ish slime just right of center concerns me though.

That green isn't there in reality. That's some odd lighting pouring into the room. Usually I have the fermenter covered so it lives in darkness, but when I uncovered it to take the pic, I noticed it wasn't going to be the easiest thing in the world to photograph. I tried using a flash to correct the lighting, but that was even worse, so I just used what I had.

yeah, that batch is toast. After fermentation is complete, better package it up in bottles no greater than 12 OZ each (to prevent cross contamination) and ship it to me for disposal in my epa licensed hazardous beer disposal facility. Since this is your first trip, there's no charge but don't tell anybody, they'll ALL want free beer disposal!!

yeah, that batch is toast. After fermentation is complete, better package it up in bottles no greater than 12 OZ each (to prevent cross contamination) and ship it to me for disposal in my epa licensed hazardous beer disposal facility. Since this is your first trip, there's no charge but don't tell anybody, they'll ALL want free beer disposal!!

Well, luckily for everyone involved, it's just a small test batch for something, so I can easily get rid of it. No need for you to worry yourself about disposing it. I wouldn't want to put you out at all. :D

A couple days in my experiences.

That's what I would have thought. I just got back from being gone for work for a week and while some of it has settled, there's still a lot floating on top. :confused:

Not quite sure what route to take. I did a gravity reading earlier... and tasted the sample... it tastes good. Not sure what to do at this point with all this junk on top.

I have something that looks very similar, minus the green. Am concerned that it's infected but it keeps bubbling at almost 3 weeks now. Not sure what to do

LOL

Yep...emptied the remaining 20 tabs into the boil.

Nah...just used 1 tablet. I had considered that could be break material too. I dunno... SG has dropped... tastes ok so far... I'm not concerned, I guess.

What was the batch size? To me it really looks like overuse of kettle finings.

Back