Is it pronounced trub or troob?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WayFrae

Homebrew Enthusiast
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
So when I first started brewing I had always pronounced trub like it is spelled, trub. When I was talking to the guy at one of the LHBS he corrected me and said it is pronounced "troob" like true with a B at the end.

Since then I have tried to make a conscious effort to pronounce it troob but trub is just easier to say haha. Anyways, I was listening to a Brew Strong episode and John Palmer pronounced it trub just like I was pronouncing it originally. This makes me think that either way is correct.

What are your thoughts? :mug:

Personally I say trub as is appears, but "troob" is technically correct I believe.

Im just going to go with "trüb"

I've heard it pronounced both ways but I think Troob is the correct way. I still think trub sound better haha and more descriptive as to what it's describing.

I've heard it pronounced both ways but I think Troob is the correct way. I still think trub sound better haha and more descriptive as to what it's describing.

I think it sounds better too. My brewing buddy thought I was saying "chud" at first so that is what we have been calling it since.

Chud just sounds so dirty.

I call it trub. I deal with Germans at work and they use American words for alot of their technical equipment so I don't feel bad about not pronouncing it with a German accent.
Now if you want to brew to the Reinheitsgehbot maybe it makes a difference if your beer contains trub or troob but... :p

As far as German pronunciation it's certainly closer to troob, but not exactly because I believe it has umlauts.

But this is M'erica..I call it trub. They can keep their reinheitsgebot and fancy accent marks and pronunciation.

Edit: :LOL: I was typing this before I read the above post

It is yours you can call it what you want.

Trub for me

( I also call a hydrometer a hy drom eter)

Yes, technically it's pronounced troob but I say trub as well. For some unknown reason I can't bring myself to call it troob even though I do speak a little German.

Rev.

I suspect it's a to-may-to vs. to-mah-to thing or as my good friend in college who hailed from Manchester used to say mockingly to us yanks, "I am going to eat a ba-naaaa-na now!" instead of his more civilized British pronunciation of ba-nah-na. Probably "troob" is the original way to say "trub" or something like that.

I had always called it "troob" but then heard Palmer last week on Brew Strong say "trub" and wondered if I'd been saying in wrong all this time. I'm going to continue to call it "troob".

So, if trub is troob, is wort: "wart" or "wert"?

kraussen": "kraw-sen" or "krow (as in 'how')-sen" or "kroy-sen"?

lauter: "law-ter" or "low (as in 'how')-ter"?

EDIT: sorry EthanH, you beat me to it.

I've been watching a lot of Danger 5 recently, so I've started pronouncing it "troob."

But trub sounds so much better.

I always called it hop **** for years and years. Then I went to Siebel and they told me it was called troob.

So, if trub is troob, is wort: "wart" or "wert"?

kraussen": "kraw-sen" or "krow (as in 'how')-sen" or "kroy-sen"?

lauter: "law-ter" or "low (as in 'how')-ter"?

EDIT: sorry EthanH, you beat me to it.

I think wort is pronounced wert. Like word with a t instead of a d. I prefer that way since saying wart just sounds disgusting.

I have heard most people say kroysen but I prefer saying krowsen.

I am not sure on lauter. I say law-ter but I have heard Jamil Zainasheff say low(as in how)-ter.

I'm guessing if you grew up south of the mason-dixon you say trub more than you say troob. And it's probably truuub with a drawl.

I pronounce it troob personally

I grew up south of the Mason-Dixon Line and I say troob. It just sounds better and it's easier to pronounce. (I would put a rockin smiley face here but I'm in the app)

In general the au combination sounds like ow when speaking German.

So, Haus is House, Maus is Mouse, Lauter is Lowter, krausen is krowsen.

I say trub, but I've known for years that the accepted pronunciation is troob. I just can't make myself say it right.

troob troob troob.

troobies!

I think it sounds better too. My brewing buddy thought I was saying "chud" at first so that is what we have been calling it since.

Chud just sounds so dirty.

Chud is a better sounding term but If you grew up in the 80's, it might mean something else entirely...

C.H.U.D. - Cannibalistic Humanoid Underground Dwellers...

Lol...

Troobies on the boobies? Somehow, I don't think those lil birds will appreciate that? I say trub, but I know it's troob. Krausen is how I say it, but heard it's kroysen, but krowsen sounds more like how a German would say it. But wort is definitely wert as I heard it. But the interesting part to me is, when I was making wine, it was called dregs, or bitter dregs. Reminds me of that Star Trek episode (Plato's Stepchildren) where spock is forced to sing that old Roman/Greek song bitter dregs.

That's what is great about living on the Internet. You don't have to pronounce anything ... Just try to spell it right.

Neither is really correct (German speaker, here).

Lees is the name for yeast at the bottom of fermentation in French. Trub is the same thing in German. We generally use lees when talking about wine and trub when talking about beer. Technically, they should both be pronounces in the same way as in their mother tongue.

In the case of trub, both "Tr-uh-b" and "tr-oo-b" are mispronunciations, assuming you're pronouncing the R in the manner that Americans tend to. Troob would be the closest, but in German the R is pronounced more like a G (similar to the way the french pronounce an R).

That said, both troob and trub are terms used by homebrewers. You might get somebody who's a stickler for either pronounciation, but at this point, both are incorrect in German... and thus, there isn't really an argument for EITHER. People will understand you either way.

Also, don't be discouraged. Pronouncing a word based on how it looks is upsetting to people. But the reality is, if you're learning how to pronounce based on spelling... you're making it known that you're a reader. I'd rather work with somebody who's done a significant amount of reading than somebody who knows how to needlessly pronounce words in the technical manner.

Neither is really correct (German speaker, here).

Lees is the name for yeast at the bottom of fermentation in French. Trub is the same thing in German. We generally use lees when talking about wine and trub when talking about beer. Technically, they should both be pronounces in the same way as in their mother tongue.

In the case of trub, both "Tr-uh-b" and "tr-oo-b" are mispronunciations, assuming you're pronouncing the R in the manner that Americans tend to. Troob would be the closest, but in German the R is pronounced more like a G (similar to the way the french pronounce an R).

That said, both troob and trub are terms used by homebrewers. You might get somebody who's a stickler for either pronounciation, but at this point, both are incorrect in German... and thus, there isn't really an argument for EITHER. People will understand you either way.

Also, don't be discouraged. Pronouncing a word based on how it looks is upsetting to people. But the reality is, if you're learning how to pronounce based on spelling... you're making it known that you're a reader. I'd rather work with somebody who's done a significant amount of reading than somebody who knows how to needlessly pronounce words in the technical manner.

Good to know they are both wrong! Thanks!

Back