Need some apt. repair advice

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

treacheroustexan

Reaction score
So the girlfriend and I moved into this new place in February. We noticed on just one of the bathroom walls the paint was bubbling up really bad. The maintenance guy peeled it off and repainted and it looked awful btw. I get home from work just now and notice another part of the bathroom wall is bubbled up and I have a huge puddle of water all over the floor, and it looks like its coming out of the wall right where the bathtub meets the wall. I will be calling maintenance in the morning, but do you think it would be an issue with water leaking in the wall somewhere? Just curious what the method to fix this would be. Heres some pics. Thanks!

eff1.jpg

eff2.jpg

I'm betting the shower above you is leaking a bit. Probably the caulking is leaking when the person above you gets out of the shower wet and some water seeps thru to you. If it were more than that you'd see allot more water. At least that's what I think.

Yes, water is leaking in the wall (is my guess). The method to fix is to find the pipe or fixture that is leaking and replace or repair it. The wall may be filled with mold.

I once heard a story that a guy died in an upstairs apartment. His body began decomposing and because of this made the floor soggy enough where his body fell through to the apartment below.

So there's that possibility ;)

It's leaking water that is causing the paint to bubble. Since water flows down, it's coming from above. Might be a crack/gap in caulking, might be a leaky faucet or drain, might even be a leaky pipe. I've even seen this as a result of a leaky roof.
Regards, GF.

Alternatively, if you are the top floor and considering the the weather we have had, ice damns backing water up into the attic, travelling across the ceiling joist.

No matter what, this is not something you can fix as the renter.

Yeah... not your responsibility. Get the landlord over there and have them fix it, pretty sure they don't want to mess with mold or structural water damage either, I think they'd rather fix it up quick then face the consequences of prolonged exposure to water.

Yeah... not your responsibility. Get the landlord over there and have them fix it, pretty sure they don't want to mess with mold or structural water damage either, I think they'd rather fix it up quick then face the consequences of prolonged exposure to water.

^This.

I had the exact same problem in my bathroom, but the swelled up bubble was as big as a balloon, and located on the adjacent wall to the sink. My maintenance guy said the leak was coming from the roof and trickling down to certain areas in many of the top floor tenants' ceilings. They ended up replacing the entire roof, checking for mold, and patching/repainting the affected area.

Definitely a leak. Either the upstairs bathroom, or a roof one. Either way, if it has happened before it is not something to just peel off and repaint. Bring up the question with the landlord (CYA with it being in writing is an even better idea) and ask them to test for mold. or have it tested and if it is found report it to them. Mold can kill you, expecially the black mold.

The paint bubbles, are they full of water or just dry? It looks like there has been some trouble there already with the poorly finished drywall mud on the ceiling in that corner, though a textured ceiling makes clean repairs difficult.

Not to be a fearmonger, but mold can be very bad news.

Definitely a leak. Either the upstairs bathroom, or a roof one. Either way, if it has happened before it is not something to just peel off and repaint. Bring up the question with the landlord (CYA with it being in writing is an even better idea) and ask them to test for mold. or have it tested and if it is found report it to them. Mold can kill you, expecially the black mold.

The paint bubbles, are they full of water or just dry? It looks like there has been some trouble there already with the poorly finished drywall mud on the ceiling in that corner, though a textured ceiling makes clean repairs difficult.

Not to be a fearmonger, but mold can be very bad news.

I asked earlier if it has happened before and they didn't know.. I bought a mold test kit. I would rather have results now and not wait for them to do it. I just got it going so in a few days I hope to (nor hope not to) see something. The bubbles do seem moist when i touch them.

Go ahead and puncture the one you have, or puncture one as soon as it shows up. If it is full of liquid like a 2nd degree burn blister you have got a leak, if it is full of air, you may just have poor circulation in your shower and the moisture is getting under the paint.

Another thought, have these bubbles appeared at a time where you can associate it with specific weather? Like for example after a big snow and it starts to melt (Ice Dams), Monsoon type weather(flashing leak, or maybe overflowing gutters)? Or is it just random (the jerk upstairs not using a shower curtain or a bad caulking job)?

take plenty of pictures, document everything, keep the landlord informed. Otherwise, you'll be held responsible and won't get your security deposit back.

Been there... many many years ago, but I've been there.

take plenty of pictures, document everything, keep the landlord informed. Otherwise, you'll be held responsible and won't get your security deposit back.

Been there... many many years ago, but I've been there.

Good advice right there.
Regards, GF.

I once heard a story that a guy died in an upstairs apartment. His body began decomposing and because of this made the floor soggy enough where his body fell through to the apartment below.

So there's that possibility ;)

Better call Saul...
Sounds like Walter White and Jesse might be living upstairs!

Back