Dry vs Liquid

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DNKDUKE

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Does anyone here remember if there's a post of opinions (stupid question) of the difference between dry vs liquid yeast?
What's the general consensus and what's the truth.

Both dry and liquid yeasts are quality yeasts. Generic unlabeled packs of yeast, in some kits, are questionable because you don't know the strain of yeast.
More strains of liquid yeast than dry yeast.
Amount pitched depends on beers OG of the beer for both types of yeast.
Liquid will often need a starter to propagate the optimum number of cells for a healthy pitch.
Dry yeast needs to be rehydrated to for a healthy pitch of the available cells.
Both yeasts have optimum fermentation ranges, and off flavors if mishandled.

Which you use to get the job done depends on what you are brewing, and which yeast will develop the potential flavors you want.

I can't give you a post of different opinions, but I can give you mine... Dry yeast works fine, however there is greater variety in liquid yeast cultures, but dry yeast is cheaper, just depends what you are looking for.
As far as like US05 vs WLP001 I can't tell much difference myself but other people will argue they get a lot of peach flavor from 05 never experienced this myself though.. I absolutely love Nottingham...
For most American Ales I use dry yeast b/c it is cheaper

Dry and liquid yeasts are all quality products. ( for the most part).

There are some styles that are offered in both dry and liquid. The big advantage for liquid is there is a bigger variety of yeasts available. So when brewing certain styles you have more choices. And for some styles the only choice is liquid.

+1 on both being good to use.

I've started using mostly dry for all my "regular" beers (ales, IPA, brown) using mostly sa-04, sa-05 and Danstar bry-97 (west coast). All produce very good beers.

If I need something special, like a recently produced Belgian Dubbel, then opting for liquid yeast provides the broader assortment of yeast varieties.

Also, using dry yeast makes it (for me) easier to get a proper pitching rate. Instead of making a 1-2 liter starter days before (and I do have a stir plate which helps) I just get the required amount of packed, typically 2 for most beers, and I know I have a good pitching rate.

Last edited:
Like which do you prefer the liquid for?

Agreed with the Belgians. Lots of great choices in liquid. There are a couple of new dry yeasts for Belgians but I have not tried them yet. Another one is British styles. There are plenty of choices there in liquid.

This will give an idea. This is just Wyeast. Whitelabs also has a big selection. There are a few other smaller producers that also offer some unique yeasts.

http://www.wyeastlab.com/hb_yeaststrain.cfm

Like which do you prefer the liquid for?

Wyeast 3711 (French Saison) and Westmalle (WLP530 and Wyeast 3787) are wonderful strains. I really like WLP013 for dark ales, and it ferments faster than anything else I've used. Wyeast Bavarian Wheat (3638) for german wheat beers. I'm kindof a yeast nut. I ordered 5 different pounsd of hops this year and will probably just use those for all my beers this year, at least until they runout, but I will use many, many strains of yeast including everyone of the above at least once.

I generally use dry yeast, and it's mostly Nottingham. Great yeast. I really like it. I will say that I have now experienced the "peachy" off flavor of US-05. I fermented a light ale (2 row, 6 row, rice) at low temps (low 60s) and it ended up with a peachy flavor. I would not have known what happened to the batch if I had not read about the "peachy" flavor on this forum. :) I've made some great beers using my wine fridge for a fermentation chamber, but I really, really need to get my STC-1000 built to that I can get a better handle on the temperature in the fermentation chamber.

I prefer liquid for English - 1469 is my go to English strain. I have had several challenges (and successes) with S-04. But, I just decided to stick with 1469 as my "house" English ale yeast.

As a general matter, if I am making something non-US, I probably use a liquid. For example, I use liquid for Scottish Ale, and English Bitters, Special Bitters and ESBs.

Other than that, I am mostly an US-05 guy. Can't beat it with a stick. But, with all of the Notty love going on around here lately, maybe I try some Notty next time around, fermented in the low 60s.

Back