wyeast 2565 sulfur smell

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jwalkermed

Reaction score
I recently brewed an American Wheat Ale with wyeast 2565 Kölsch. Never used that strain before. I racked this to the keg a few days ago and I've noticed what I believe to be a sulfur smell to the beer. It tastes fine but the aroma is not pleasing.

Any of you have the same experience and is this something that will dissipate with time?

If you want my fermentation schedule it was 7 days @ 62F, 1 day 65F, 2 days 70F then back to 62F for a couple days to make sure gravity was stable.

Currently bottle conditioning a Kolsch with wlp029. I believe both kolsch strains need a month of lagering before drinking to lose the sulfur or other off flavors that may be present, if any. I'm in the same boat. First time with a kolsch yeast. Only time will tell. From what I have read, I think other Brewers have similar experiences and end up with a great beer.

Thanks. I'm on the verge of dumping it because I don't like the smell. I'll condition for a month and give it one more chance.

Wyeast 2565 has been a very reliable yeast for me. I ferment at 60F, and don't ever recall a sulfur odor. Having said that, I do seem to remember some slight odor that is present with every Kolsch I brew. I wouldn't call it sulfur though. Kolsch is best after some cold conditioning. Mine seem to be at their best with 8 weeks cold conditioning. Then they are "tasty".

I have used 2575 a few times with no noticeable sulphur smell and very quick turnaround on the beers. However 1007 throws a ton of sulphur during fermentation

Personally, I find it extremely difficult to dump any of my brews. I will do almost anything to save a questionable batch. Conditioning really helps most beers overcome many minor flaws.

A quick interaction (5-10 seconds) with some copper may help reduce, or eliminate, that sulfur compounds. Something as simple as gently stirring the beer in your keg with a section of sanitized copper tubing.

Read more here: https://www.homebrewersassociation.org/forum/index.php?topic=9514.0

I ended up doing this a while back on a wit beer and it definitely reduced the sulfur compounds but was not a complete cure. I only had some small scraps of copper at the time so it was dunking them in the keg using some monofilament.

One nice thing about this method is that it's instant, so you'll know if it helped immediately.

I've used this yeast a number of times, and usually just keep it around 60-62 F the whole time. Never had any sulphur odor issues. I wonder if that came about because of those few days of warmer temps you did.

Also, based on stuff I read about this yeast and Kolsch as a style, I always planned on leaving it to age a while before bottling/drinking it. I know some people have had good luck with cold crashing or using various finings to clear it up quicker, but I think age is this yeasts best friend.

+1 for aging your Kolsch. Sulfur will usually dissipate with aging/conditioning. Every Kolsch I've brewed developed it's best flavor after a few weeks cold conditioning.

Excerp from BJCP style Guidlines:
Fermented at cool ale temperatures (59-65?F) and lagered for at least a month, although many Cologne brewers ferment at 70?F and lager for no more than two weeks.

Back