How do you use Cocoa Nibs

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

i4ourgot

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I was thinking about Cocoa nibs and it seems there are a lot of different techniques out there. How do you like to use them? Does it kill head retention?

Don't remember any head retention problems at all. I soak them in VANILLA vodka for a day or so (enough vodka to cover the nibs) and then pour that stuff (nibs + vodka, it kind of turns into a thick sludge to some degree) in my secondary for chocolate stout. That's the only way I've used them. So far, so good...

a lot of people just add them to secondary with no problems.

I once made an extract with cocoa nibs and coffee beans soaked in vodka, then added the extract to the beer. That was great flavor but DID kill my head retention, but that's likely because the oils are alcohol soluble. In the future, I'm going to cold brew coffee, and just add in the nibs with the coffee. But if I weren't doing coffee, I would likely try adding them to secondary.

You can slightly bake them in the oven then soak in vodka for col days then pour all into secondary. Enjoy

I've used them for a chocolate milk stout once. I soaked them in everclear (190 proof) for a few days prior to brew day and dumped the alcohol/cocoa into primary. I had no problem at all with head retention, huge long lasting foamy tinge of brown head.

I added them to a Robust porter in the boil, primary, and secondary, used 8 oz. Great beer. Have no idea which or all of those techniques helped.

4oz nibs in 8oz of vodka in a mason jar for a week, strain, then store or use (makes enough for two beers)

I used 4 ounces of cacao nibs in the mash, milled with the grain. That was in a stout. I also soaked nibs in the keg for a week to add more chocolate flavor.

You can slightly bake them in the oven then soak in vodka for col days then pour all into secondary. Enjoy

This! Heat them till they start smelling, which is heavenly, to bring out the last bit of goodness and sweetness, then soak em in vodka. Just enough to cover. This gives you sanitation and some extraction of flavors. Then into secondary and bäm!

Also think about adding a vanilla bean to the brew. Just one (or half if you really wanne be save), cause you don´t nececarily want the vanilla to stick out, but it can really help bring out chocolaty flavors. Don´t notice the vanilla, but the cacao and chocolate just gets more and better because our brain recognizes the flavors more. If you do that I recommend scraping the insides out, gently heating the leftover bean in a pan under movement until it starts to develop aroma. Then cut it up, and again soak it in vodka.

I just put them in the secondary for a cpl weeks and racked under them. Worked great.

I was thinking about Cocoa nibs and it seems there are a lot of different techniques out there. How do you like to use them? Does it kill head retention?

I currently have a Bitter Chocolate Oatmeal Stout on tap. It is based on a Stone recipe. It out the nibs directly in the boil. Outstanding flavor & balance. Also 10.8 ABV!

I just took 4 oz. out of secondary on a milk chocolate stout. I soaked them in vodka for a few hours, dumped the vodka into the keg I was using as a brite tank, and put the nibs in a muslin bag. Tied dental floss around the bag and to the keg handle, sealed it up and let it sit for three weeks (tasted weekly for flavor intensity). They smelled like chocolate after I took them out, but we're very harsh going into the keg.

Also, my nibs were already roasted when I bought them, not green. Kyle

I put 8 oz in a growler, and poured enough bourbon in to cover them. Let them sit for 2 weeks and poured the entire contents into a 5 gallon batch of chocolate stout in secondary. Has a nice but not overpowering chocolate flavor.

Has anyone added them to the boil or right into primary? If u add to the boil at what time. I'm guessing prob the 15 or 10 min mark???

Has anyone added them to the boil or right into primary? If u add to the boil at what time. I'm guessing prob the 15 or 10 min mark???

I did a milk chocolate stout (first one) and I put 4oz of roasted nibs in the boil at 10 minutes, and got them into the primary. Many of them came out the blowoff tube in the primary, so a muslin bag or something may have worked better. I still got a good, subtle chocolate flavor into 5G of stout. Next time I will try this plus the soaking vodka tincture technique so I can get the chocolate flavor I want.

I don't get the whole "filter this" or "skim that" things when using nibs soaked in spirits. I've always just dumped the whole thing in, nibs and all, and let the beer sort it out.

Never failed yet...

Cheers!

I never had luck with skimming the "butter" off. I just soak for 2 weeks then drain into an old bourbon pint jar and use when needed. Works well

I made a Stone recipe Bitter Chocolate Oatmeal Stout that called for the cocoa nibs to go directly into the boil. Worked out very well. I still have some on tap & it's a hit with all.

i soaked mine in woodford reserve bourbon, then added both the bourbon and nibs to the secondary, to make a chocolate bourbon porter.

Back