Got evicted because of brewing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nightrider069

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
So I have to be out of my place by the 30th of January. Just put a bid on a house today. Will post pic's as soon as it goes through.

That sucks, but I have been through your town before, so...

J/K, but I hope it turns out for the best if you get a good new house.

They think I am using propane which I did a year ago. Got rid of the propane because they think it is a fire hazard. now I use an all electric system. But because I am still brewing they think I am using propane.

Hope your new house has plenty of brew space and is not part of an HOA. They can give you trouble too.

30 days between bid and moved is tight but very possible.

Nice brew space there! You are making me jealous.

Nothing better than owning your own home. Renting is only a temporary fit.

I once had the police called on me while I was brewing. Someone drove past my house and thought I was making crystal meth... in my driveway?!!! The cops were cool though, and I offered them (and they accepted!) a taste of the wort and I gave each a hop cone to take with them. Never had an issue again.

HOAs are crazy sometimes too, but they've never bothered me for brewing. Fingers crossed...

Also, that brown tile in the basement is most likely asbestos. Take care if you decide to pull it up.

Just being helpful. I'll move along now...

The original box to the title is in the basement I will look when I get back there for the inspection for the VA loan

The issue is when you break them up and the adhesive disturbance when removing the tile. I wouldn't remove them unless it was necessary for new flooring. You can't always trust the 9"-12" theory. The adhesive is the biggest threat, but only if disturbed and made airborne.

I'd leave them be, and just cover over if you don't like the style.

:mug:

Nice and congrats, don't skimp on the inspection, problems found now are the sellers problems.

But what about the eviction? What grounds do they have to evict you? Have you gone to your base legal office? (You mentioned VA...not sure if you're active or retired or other.)

well they say that a turkey frier is against the lease. I was using them for the boil. Now they use that for grounds for eviction. I don't know what they are worried about other than the burner being a fire hazard IDK. They consider that breaking my lease. But beyond that they done an inspection on my place about 8 months ago and went into my place without sending a notice 24 hrs prior to entering the place. Neighbors caught the maintenance man leaving my place this past spring to do ac maintenance with out notice. He also questioned them about the cabinet that I use for my brewing rig pictured hear.

img6.jpg

Technically, if you're not frying a turkey it's not a turkey fryer.

I think it's time to get out, but 30 days and being under the gun do not help in making the best decision.

Yes I understand that. The payment on this place will be the same as what I am paying now. That is with the escrow in the payment.

You're markets just like mine. I was renting a 1400 sq. ft. Duplex for the same money I bought my 2000 sq ft house.

FYI - In Milwaukee at least, a landlord can enter a property without 24 hours notice if there is an immediate need to do so (if a situation is not circumvented immediately, it would cause damage to the property)

For example - If a landlord suspects that a toilet is overflowing, they can knock/ring the doorbell, and then use a key if the door isn't answered by the tenant.

I am by no means backing up the landlord in this situation - Given the information you have shared, you have grounds to fight the eviction.

Brewing beer is not illegal. Post your lease if you have a copy (I hope you kept it). Black out any personal information first.

I am no expert, but I Brew Beer and am a landlord too.

Cheers,
Max

Yes I understand that. The payment on this place will be the same as what I am paying now. That is with the escrow in the payment.

Amazing how it works out like that. We had the same experience 4 1/2 years back. Interest rates are still very reasonable. You'll spend a bit more on heating but it's worth it!

Go for the lowest interest rate, you can always pay more each month to limit the number of terms, which saves a tremendous amount of mullah in the end. You probably know that already.

Unless they can prove that you were using the propane burner indoors, either by pictures, or your own admission, then you have not broken the lease (at least in that regard, if you were late with payment etc that is cause too), and they cannot force you out. The burden of proof is on the landlord.

That s not to say that you don't want to get out, but that by no means you have to leave in 30 days. They are required by law to post eviction in writing, along with reason for it, if you are still in a lease.

If there only reason is that you OWN a turkey fryer, there is no court in the U.S. that would find that a reason for eviction. They are not illegal to buy/possess/sell. If they caught you using it indoors, that is a different story all together.

I say if you can find a place to buy for same price that you like and are comfortable purchasing, then go that route, but trying to close on a house in <30 days can be tough, don't be intimidated into moving out if you are in the right.

+1 to what Mike_kever_kombi said. ^

Some states (PA does, or at least did) have a law that prevents tenants from being evicted when prevailing daily temperatures are below a certain mark. In that case the landlord will have to wait until it gets a bit warmer. Just trying to buy you some time in case you need it.

I'm not a lawyer, just offering friendly and common sense ideas, not advice. :D

Back