Possible to Rewire Motor for forward and Reverse?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rabeb25

HE of who can not be spoken of.
Reaction score
Hey guys have had this motor for years, wondering if any of you gurus knew if I could wire it for Forward and reverse. It would come in handy.
This is the motor:
42929.jpg

The color coding on the 3 wires for the 115v are blue (neutral - the polarized lug), brown (line), green (ground). The wires for the Cap I don't know but they are Red and White.

Reversible motors must be wired internally to support both directions. The wiring coverplate almost always has this info, and in many cases changing from 120 to 240 as well, but again only if made that way. You can't reverse a motor that is not internally wired to support it.

Oops, just realized the wires are exposed, so no cover. Is there a data plate on the motor? If so you can try looking it up online.

A single phase motor cannot be reversed. Only a 3 phase motor. All household power is single phase, i.e. One black wire and one white wire. The only way to convert power from single phase to three phase is to buy phase converter.

The cheapest way to get a reversable motor is to buy a DC motor. A DC motor will require a speed controller to convert the AC voltage to DC.

Hope this helps.

I only have AC single phase but all of my commercial fan motors as well as my chicken house feedline motors can be wired 110/220 and direction can be reversed. As the 2nd poster stated, they must be made that way and will have a cover plate with the wiring diagram on it. Most of these motors have many wires labeled from T1-T8 that you switch around to make changes. I would guess yours will not change.

Garage door motors,until recent years were all reversing and single phase ac. Nowadays there is a trend toward DC motors (reversing also obviously)

A single phase motor cannot be reversed. Only a 3 phase motor. All household power is single phase, i.e. One black wire and one white wire. The only way to convert power from single phase to three phase is to buy phase converter.

The cheapest way to get a reversable motor is to buy a DC motor. A DC motor will require a speed controller to convert the AC voltage to DC.

Hope this helps.

Winner!

My understanding is that reverse in AC motors is to do with internal cogs/gears, not the wiring. It's obviously much easier with DC motors. That might not be correct though.

You could add some gears off the motor, but it would be a bit of work.

Single phase motors that have starting or running capacitors are really biphase motors with two windings, one connected through a capacitor to the line and the other connected directly. The capacitor induces a phase shift so that the fields from the two coils are out of phase and thus the total magnetic field rotates in the direction the motor turns. If both wires for the starting winding are brought out then reversing the motor is a simple matter of reversing the two starting winding winding wires. If this is possible it will usually be indicated on the motor's name plate. If it is not so indicated it may still be possible to open up the motor, identify the starting winding connections and bring them out to a reversing switch. However there may be other considerations such as a centrifugal switch which disconnects the starting winding at speed that is dependent on the direction of rotation.

I miss spoke in my reply and it was pointed out that some single phase motors can be reversed, is true. What I should have said is it depends on the motor, usually cheaper single phase AC motor with no starter capacitor. The previous poster is correct about the starter capacitor winding. Again, look at the name plate and spec sheet of the motor.

Back