Last minute Holiday ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jzelina

Reaction score
Looking for some feed back, I am going to add a "tea" of spices to Red Ale to kind of holiday it up for SWMBO. The Red ale was 6.6 pounds LME 1 pound chocolate malt .5 crystal 20 1 oz East Kent Golding at 50 min and 1 oz fuggles last 5 60 minute boil. Thinking of adding cinnamon orange peel maybe some ginger boiled then added to fermentor. Anyone ever try this? if so who was is, and ideas on amounts to add. Thanks

I've done it by adding the tea at bottling. 2 cinnamon sticks, 1 tsp of ginger, 2 tsp nutmeg, 1 oz sweet orange peel, 2 vanilla beans. It was delicious.

I've never done a tea before. I am just about to bottle my Xmas ale that I made, but i did it all in a boil. The last 10 mins i added all the spices and such. Smelled damned good! Nice and black... Looks good.

I put in a red ale. I used Palmer's advise on adding the honey by heating to , well it was suggested 176 degrees, but my oven only works in increments of five, so 180 for 30 minutes the diluted it to a gravity of 1.010, which is what my wort was at. This with the tea mix of 1 oz. bitter orange, 1 tsp cinnamon, 1/2 tsp ginger, 1 tsp nutmeg, 1 tsp vanilla. Boiled in water. This added a gallon of liquid to the wort, which was transferred to a secondary to get a good mix. Now all there is to do is wait and see.

Well the beer turned out decent good spice carry over, but a touch on the lighter side. Probably due to the added water from the diluted honey. It is very drinkable, and no complaints. Next time honey to the boil. This one I called "Red Christmas Lite"

Back