Bayou Classic question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IBrewthere4Iam

Reaction score
So I got clearance from my handler to buy a new brew kettle for xmas and I have decide to go with the Bayou Classic Stainless Stockpot with Spigot - 16 gallon. Mostly for the price point.

My question is about the spigot and the connection on the inside. I want to get a Bazooka Kettle Screen as I will only be doing BIAB for the time being, but not sure what is needed to attach it. I see one on amazon that looks to be threaded on one end. Would that simply screw right in? or do I need to buy adapters and fittings as well?

steve

My kettle, just the one you want, came with a threaded coupler (?) which screws on the inside of the kettle and then the other end is an open thread. It then would allow me to attach a screen just as you want.

See this thing? That smooth part is actually going to sit inside the kettle which has threads on both ends, it's a female/female deal:
41hd5mufqcl.jpg

I just bought two of these on Tuesday for $119 a piece one on eBay and one on amazon but from the same seller they were open box but "like new"
Bought a false bottom separate though for $43 on eBay.

I want to get a Bazooka Kettle Screen as I will only be doing BIAB for the time being,

Maybe I'm mussing something, but why do you want a bazooka screen if you are looking to BIAB. A bazooka screen is used for conventional mashing to filter the grain. W/ BIAB the bag is the filter, you don't need a bazooka?

It'll be a good thing if you want it to clog up with kettle trub and prevent you from draining. You'd be better served by a dip tube and whirlpooling.

Just figured it would be a nice extra level of filtering " incase"

I wouldn't try it, there is really nothing to gain IMO.

I remember reading of a guy that tried his B/C kettle with the false bottom, and the stainless braid and reported a stuck sparge. I told him to try the kettle screen only and it worked well. I believe the false bottom was passing fines and the kettle screen does not function with fines only! A kettle screen, bazooka or braid works for filtering a mash with the grain husks and larger particles all together helping to create the filter. What you may end up with is only the fine flour passing the bag and clogging the bazooka, as the bazooka is not capable of filtering flour only, but needs the whole grain mash to function as intended. One or the other IMO, not both.

Try it if you like, but I see it as a potential problem with very little to zero upside....jmo cheers!

Some try too hard and get bitten...keep it simple.

THANKS! I love this site. I am glad the question was asked and that I replied. Sounds like you all just helped me avoid a pit fall.

THANKS! I love this site. I am glad the question was asked and that I replied. Sounds like you all just helped me avoid a pit fall.

I use the same kettle and valve with the stainless steel grain basket and it works perfectly for BIAB. The bag is fine enough to filter out everything and the lip on the basket fits a matching ledge at the top of the kettle to prevent any grains from dropping into the wort. The strong handle on the basket makes lifting the grains from the wort a lot safer too.

I use a couple of the Bayou Classic pots as well. They are well made and, while not as high zoot as a Blichman, they will last forever.

Bayou Classic makes several different 16 gal pots. One with the streamer basket and an indent on the top of the pot for the basket. The others have the indent near the bottom of the pot to support a false bottom. One of the aforementioned has a tri-ply bottom.

Can't go wrong with whichever one fits your needs IMO.

Cheers!

So would you suggest using a dip tube, if yes what sort? Kettle should be here tomorrow so I will see how far off the bottom the ball valve is.

Besides the BIAB "bag" are there any other necessary items that I might not have from extract brewing.

Back