Brew pot size

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wiesty

Reaction score
Hey all,
I'm looking at ordering a new brew pot and will either get a 7.5 gallon or 9 gallon. The 9 gallon has fittings for a faucet and thermometer however. I only plan on doing stove top brewing for the next while, but is a 9 gallon pot too big for a stove? I've heard of some people warping their elements.

If you are heating your wort on an electric or gas stove, you may not get a rolling boil with a batch greater than 4 or 5 gallons. I brew on a gas stove, and if I have more than 3 gallons going, it barely reaches a rolling boil. I'm happy with the results I've been getting from boiling 3 gallons, and topping off to 5 gallons in the fermenter bucket, but if you want to boil a larger batch, you might not be able to without going to an outside propane burner or other method.

The stove is the more restricting element in this equation. Can you get 7 gallons to a full boil on your stove? You might have trouble getting a full batch to boil.

I use a 10 gallon kettle and still have to watch to make sure it doesn't boil over. So if you can do a full boil you still might want a bigger pot.

I would always recommend going bigger. A propane burner is a minor step up down the road if you can't reach a good boil on the stove.

I just ordered a 7.5 gallon kettle. Will positioning it over two burners produce a boil?

Back