Trying to clone a beer but stuck

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drg1

Reaction score
Trying to copy:

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f64/common-room-esb-83878/

in an extract version

so far I have:

English ale yeast WLP 002
7.5lb golden light malt syrup
0.6lb munich malt syrup
0.2lb dark DME

But I am confused with what KingBrain says with his hop additions:

Code:
1.50 oz Goldings, East Kent [5.50 %] (60 min) (First Wort Hop) Hops 30.4 IBU 
0.25 oz Fuggles [4.00 %] (20 min) Hops 2.0 IBU 
0.25 oz Goldings, East Kent [5.50 %] (20 min) Hops 2.8 IBU 
0.25 oz Fuggles [4.00 %] (0 min) Hops - 
0.25 oz Goldings, East Kent [5.50 %] (0 min) Hops -

What does it mean he adds 0.25 and 0.25 of fuggle and ekg for 0 mins?
Also do you think anything other of my ingredient quantities should be changed? I can't really change the type of malts though.

Thanks!!

Trying to copy:

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f64/common-room-esb-83878/

in an extract version

so far I have:

English ale yeast WLP 002
7.5lb golden light malt syrup
0.6lb munich malt syrup
0.2lb dark DME

But I am confused with what KingBrain says with his hop additions:

Code:
1.50 oz Goldings, East Kent [5.50 %] (60 min) (First Wort Hop) Hops 30.4 IBU 
0.25 oz Fuggles [4.00 %] (20 min) Hops 2.0 IBU 
0.25 oz Goldings, East Kent [5.50 %] (20 min) Hops 2.8 IBU 
0.25 oz Fuggles [4.00 %] (0 min) Hops - 
0.25 oz Goldings, East Kent [5.50 %] (0 min) Hops -

What does it mean he adds 0.25 and 0.25 of fuggle and ekg for 0 mins?
Also do you think anything other of my ingredient quantities should be changed? I can't really change the type of malts though.

Thanks!!
as soon as your wort starts to boil you put in 1.5 oz kent goldings and set a countdown timer for 60 minutes.......when the countdown reaches 20 minutes left you add .25 oz of fuggles and .25 oz of goldings........when the timer reaches zero you add .25 oz fuggles and .25 oz goldings and turn off your heat and begin chilling......... I do think there is a mistake in the recipe...he is calling the 60 minute addition first wort hops.. it is my understanding that first wort hopping is done before the wort even starts to boil, not at 60 minutes of the boil countdown.

Thanks for the reply. I finished the recipe and its seems all good in fermentation.

The next thing I am confused about: are you always supposed to remove hops after the wort has been chilled? (or is this assumed when reading recipes?)

Wouldn't the time to chill the wort be another variable not accounted for in the recipe, which could affect the taste?

Technically I could cool the wort in a matter of seconds by just adding water because I am doing extract. I'd suspect not getting much flavor from the hops at all.

as soon as your wort starts to boil you put in 1.5 oz kent goldings and set a countdown timer for 60 minutes.......when the countdown reaches 20 minutes left you add .25 oz of fuggles and .25 oz of goldings........when the timer reaches zero you add .25 oz fuggles and .25 oz goldings and turn off your heat and begin chilling......... I do think there is a mistake in the recipe...he is calling the 60 minute addition first wort hops.. it is my understanding that first wort hopping is done before the wort even starts to boil, not at 60 minutes of the boil countdown.

no need to remove the hops.. just dump it all into the fermentor... the hop work is generally done by the time the beer is chilled.

Latest posts

Back