Total Failure?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cataclysm26

Reaction score
12 days ago I made a mead hybrid must with 80oz of clover honey, 184 oz of agave nectar, and 52 oz pure pomegranate juice. My recipe has 3 1/2 gallons of spring water and 6 tsp DAP also included. I rehydrated two packets of Lalvin K1V using the must as I've done in many batches before and pitched at 80 degrees. OG was 1.144. After 8 days I had no gravity change so I rehydrated yeast using spring water and now its day 12 and I've had no gravity change still. Must temp is 68 degrees. Is it time to dump this failed batch? Can and should it be salvaged?
Thanks for any help.

The label lists potassium as part of the nutritional facts but not potassium sorbate specifically. Don't know if that factors or not.

High OG and those other additions sound like a pretty acidic environment.. Do you have any test strips?

I don't. Guess I should invest in those. I'm thinking it's dumpsville for this experiment.

My guess is too high an OG. Draw off about a pint of your must & dilute it with another pint of boiled & cooled water. Make sure the temp is optimum & give it 24 hrs, you should start to see some activity in the jar by then. Add a 1/2 pint of must every 24 hrs until you have a full gallon. Aerate the heck out of the must & then add back the gallon starter. Give it a good stir once or twice a day for 3 days, then let take a SG reading. The SG should drop, albeit slowly at 1st, it will speed up as more & more of the sugar is consumed by the yeast.

Alternatively, you could just rack off a 1/2 gallon of must & replace it with a 1/2 gallon of boiled & cooled water, and give it all a good stir. Take a SG reading & then wait to see if fermentation takes off; you might need to repeat this to get it going. dilute the must you drew off in another carbouy & let it ferment out too. You can always blend them at bottling time if you want.
Regards, GF.

I'd agree about the high OG, though I've been able to start some around that range. Honestly I think the problem may be the agave- I have not tried it personally, but I've been told that for whatever reason it's very difficult to ferment. Try adding some water- if that doesn't work, you could try making a new must and slowly add in some of this into it every so often.

Latest posts

Back