thinking of using wlp 500 for a belgian ipa, any thoughts

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

olotti

Reaction score
I'm trying my hand at a belgian ipa modeled after a Shorts brewery beer here in Michigan in which they use all Galaxy hops. I love the beer it's very fruity and seems whatever yeast they use just accentuates the fruitiness of the Galaxy hops instead of overides it with typical Belgian esters. Would WLP500 be a good choice? I plan on cooling my wort to 65deg pitching my starter and then moving it to the basement where ambient temp is 64-66deg and just let it do its thing, I ferement all my beers in my basement and they usually never get above 70 during the high point of fermentation, had one get to 72 but I think I pitched at to high a temp. If it starts to get to warm I usually throw a wet towel around it with a fan blowing on the carboy and that seems to work. Thanks for the thoughts.

I think WLP500 is a great choice for a Belgian IPA, and I honestly think most Belgian yeasts would make a good one (I'm not a fan of 530, but that's personal preference and tons of people love it). I've had great success using saison yeasts like 565 and 566 in mine. The trick to getting the best range of Belgian flavors is to pitch low and let it rise. 72 is no problem for 500, especially if you pitch at 62 and let it slowly heat up.

I think WLP500 is a great choice for a Belgian IPA, and I honestly think most Belgian yeasts would make a good one (I'm not a fan of 530, but that's personal preference and tons of people love it). I've had great success using saison yeasts like 565 and 566 in mine. The trick to getting the best range of Belgian flavors is to pitch low and let it rise. 72 is no problem for 500, especially if you pitch at 62 and let it slowly heat up.

Made this today and pitched at 64 and with the cold temps its reading 62 right now in the basement on the fermometer so ill just let it Sdo its thing and see what happens as long as it doesn't get above 70. Thanks for the input.

Just out of curiosity what is the 530?? Trappist?? What didn't u like.

Made this today and pitched at 64 and with the cold temps its reading 62 right now in the basement on the fermometer so ill just let it Sdo its thing and see what happens as long as it doesn't get above 70. Thanks for the input.

Just out of curiosity what is the 530?? Trappist?? What didn't u like.

You might consider warming it in a couple days to about 70, you may find that that yeast will take awhile if it stays cold.

Update: 3 weeks after bottling and this beer is almost spot on to the beer I modeled it after. Nice wlp 500 taste and great with the Galaxy hops. Keeper

Awesome! Let's see a recipe- I think a BIPA with galaxy sounds awesome!

The fruitiness of the 500 really just compliments the passion fruit of the Galaxy its a very nice match. I think any high aa fruity hop would work well with 500.

Latest posts

Back