Second fermentation/Aging times

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Henrymiller1

Reaction score
Hello,
I'm new here. But having been brewing ciders for some time now. Batch # 29 has stopped bubbling, FG at 1.000. racked it, now it's clearing. Just waiting to keg it. I've never let a batch sit very long for this stage. Many ciders are as clear as a bad domestic beer. I've read about people letting cider age in secondary, or it'll be ready in a month... Am I missing something regarding something? My ciders are freaking delicious and loved by all. Drinkable a couple of days after kegging. Could they get better? Thanks

Keeps getting better, you probably want to age for at least 3 but I go 9.

Most of my cider sits more than 10 months in the secondary. I don't keg but bottled conditioned cider can age many more months. Ever one just keeps getting better over time.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I have a cider now in the keg that is a bit over a year old. It's completely clear, apply tasting, and crisp. It's really great.

I used S04 yeast in that particular batch, and it's been clear for over a year (I pressed the apples myself) but it tastes better than ever.

I would be afraid to leave it in secondary for so long. It seems like a bad idea and asking for trouble. But, I'll try it. Thanks

Never been a problem. Displace the 02 with C02 and keep an eye on the airlock. It's all good. They do wood casks for years.

I would be afraid to leave it in secondary for so long. It seems like a bad idea and asking for trouble. But, I'll try it. Thanks

So why not use the keg for the "secondary"? A keg is actually the ideal vessel for aging and storage- it's not oxygen permeable, it's impervious to light, and it's stainless so that there is no flavor issue (from something like plastic). There is no headspace to speak of, and it can be easily purged with co2, so there is no risk of oxidation or infection. Most people who have kegs use them, and not a carboy, for aging and conditioning once fermentation has stopped and the cider (or beer) is clear.

Just because it's in a keg doesn't mean it needs to be consumed right away! Mine has been in a keg in the basement for a year.

Not to split hairs but isn't the secondary where fermentation continues and clearing occurs? So if you transfer to a keg after clear and fermentation is complete isn't that an aging vessel and not a secondary fermenter? It sounds like a great idea to me as long as fermentation is complete or halted.

Latest posts

Back