anyone ever use gigayeast Vermont IPA yeast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bobeer

Fermentation Specalist
Reaction score
I got a pack of this yeast to do a heady topper influenced type IPA. Has anyone ever used this yeast before? It's supposed to give off a fruity type feel to go with citrusy hops. I'm looking forward to using it but I just wanted to see if anyone else out there had anything to say about it.

I got some perl malt and was just going to mix it with either a little munich or crystal 20 then add in a bunch of apollo, centennial, amarillo, and whatever else I have in the freezer that fits the bill. :ban:

It's an awesome yeast! I'm only on my third batch with it, but it throws a ton of peach flavor. It's also a really low flocc. so cold crash or drink it cloudy.

awesome! Thanks. I cold crash all my beer but I also don't mind drinking cloudy beer.

What temp do you usually ferment at using this yeast?

I recently did a cream ale (starter for my upcoming Topper clone) and did 66 for the first 3 days, ramped to 68 until it was done (2 more days) then room temp for a few more days. Dropped pretty well for me. Very clean profile.

It's an awesome yeast! I'm only on my third batch with it, but it throws a ton of peach flavor. It's also a really low flocc. so cold crash or drink it cloudy.

What temp did you ferment at to achieve these esters? This flavor profile I'm looking for, but I don't want to push it into bad ester land by ramping up the temp too hot.

YES! its amazing. Check out this IPA recipe I posted:https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f69/re-balanced-ipa-496003/

Its the best IPA yeast I've used and is a workhorse. It ferments great anywhere in the 60s without slowing down on the low end or giving unwanted flavors at the high end. Expect around 80%AA, an unusually silky body, clean finish and a nice apricot/peach flavor that compliments hops.

Also, be sure to harvest some yeast from the starter or something. This stuff is definitely worth keeping around and seems to get perform better in subsequent generations.

From what I've read about it, this yeast has a pretty wide temp range. Apparently it can start to throw some Belgian flavors above 70 and the peach starts to get muted in the low 60s. I let mine go in the mid to high 60s and it was fantastic.

From what I've read about it, this yeast has a pretty wide temp range. Apparently it can start to throw some Belgian flavors above 70 and the peach starts to get muted in the low 60s. I let mine go in the mid to high 60s and it was fantastic.

Are you referencing the ambient temperature of your fermentation chamber, or the temperature inside the beer while it was fermenting?

Latest posts

Back