Minimum sanitize time for IC?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

logdrum

Reaction score
Assuming my IC is clean of debris, what is the least amount of time I need to sanitize it in the boil?

The rule of thumb I used was 15 min before flame out. Just add it to your brew day schedule, add the chiller, and forget about it. Good luck.

I would think it would only need pasteurized. This is for milk but it should give you some ideas: http://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/pasteurization-methods-temperatures-d_1642.html

I was thinking that 15 minutes is a rather conservative figure, the link above states 0.05 seconds at 204 degrees F for pasteurization...that's pretty quick :)

One would have to connect the chiller pretty quickly to beat 0.05 seconds haha.

In reality, it doesn't seem all that critical IMO. Years ago I forgot to add my chiller early...kinda scratched my head and thought what's really gonna live in that boiling cauldron anyways :)

Yea I know, spores...but that's a whole nuther discussion...cheers RDWHWHB!

I drop it at flameout. It's instantly sanitized and you don't have to worry about killing your boil at 15 min.

The question you gotta ask is: What are you losing by going the full 15? A bit of convenience.

What you gain is that all the metal parts are sanitized even those not in direct contact with the wort. It'll take a couple of minutes for the whole chiller to come up to peak temp and that temp will be lower the farther you get away from the wort. Unless you measure the temperature, you won't know how long to keep it there. In a pessimal set up 15 mins may not even be long enough.

In any case, it is highly unlikely to be a real problem though. However, do you really want to worry for the next 6 weeks to see if that little drop of condensed water that dripped from your chiller is going to cause an infection?

If you put it in the boil for 15 minutes you are steralizing it, not sanitizing it.

I drop mine in at flame out. But I usually have it sitting in sanitizer the whole brewday because I store all my gear in my detached garage and brew outside in the driveway. Basically I'm making sure it's dust/debris free.

Back