New Cider Help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

juantanamo

Reaction score
So I decided to try cider. I brew beer regularly but wanted to try cider. Picked up 5 gal of pasteurized cider from the local big-box with only two ingredients in the list: pressed cider and ascorbic acid (vitamin C).

I sanitize pretty religiously and accurately, and never have problems with my yeasts. Since the cider came pasteurized, I didn't cook it on the stove. (I wanted to go simple) Pitched the yeast (Safale S-04 ale yeast) and set it in the closet and waited for the airlock to start bubbling. Oh, I did add yeast nutrient as per directions on the package as well.

Now, I didn't check it constantly, just every so often. But I never saw or heard it bubble. So after 4 days, I mixed up a champagne yeast starter and pitched it thinking "bad yeast pack?" It can happen right?

So today (4 days more) it had still shown no signs of fermentation so I said "well, that's $20 down the drain, but I've made bigger mistakes" so I got it out and popped the seal and was immediately assaulted by a strong alcohol smell. Wife agrees. I reseal, sanitize equipment, and dip a cup - we taste it and it tastes like unsweetened hard cider. What?

I take a gravity reading and get .998. That indicates a full fermentation. But I never saw it bubble. It tastes flat and unsweetened but otherwise fine.

What happened? Should I go ahead and backsweeten and bottle? Confused.

Thanks.

Most cider recipes add more sugar to start off right. I'd just backsweeten and allow it to carb in the bottle and drink that puppy.

I was planning to backsweeten with lactose (non-fermentable) - and use fizz drops - are you thinking I should use my typical corn sugar I use with beer?

Either way, thanks for the confirmation.

I was planning to backsweeten with lactose (non-fermentable) - and use fizz drops - are you thinking I should use my typical corn sugar I use with beer?

Either way, thanks for the confirmation.

Ever try honey to backsweeten? Really brings out the apple flavor in ciders.

It can ferment that fast. If you use the right yeast and keep it at 70*, it can be done in 2-3 days.

Enjoy!

Latest posts

Back