Do you mill outside or inside?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's a ridiculously dusty process. Outside only for me.

The premise here is that you should not mill where you ferment as fine dust from the milling process, laden with yeast and bacteria, will inevitably coat the brewhouse possibly contaminating fermenters.

I mill in my garage, and I ferment in my garage (although this is done inside a freezer). However, I do keep my empty fermenters away while milling and I do sanitize them immediately prior to filling.

Have not had an issue yet.

I mill outside, brew in the garage.

I try to avoid breathing the grain dust.

This is from the CDC:
The adverse effects of inhaling grain dust have been known for at least two-and-one-half centuries, dating back to Rammazini who, in 1713, described the respiratory hazards associated with exposure to cereal grain dust. More recently, several epidemiological studies conducted over the past few decades (cited by ACGIH 1986/Ex. 1-3 and Rankin et al. 1986) have demonstrated that exposure to grain dust causes "grain fever," wheezing, chest tightness, productive cough, eye and nasal irritation, and symptoms of chronic respiratory disease. Grain dust may also induce asthmatic reactions via an allergic mechanism, particularly in individuals who are predisposed to developing allergies (i.e., atopic individuals). Thus, OSHA believes that the need for an occupational limit on exposure to grain dust is clear.

I don't think the risk to a homebrewer is that great, but why take a chance - especially if you're prone to asthma or allergies.

Outside - it's just less dust I need to clean up.

I don't see why this is a problem? My Barley Crusher grain mill's base covers the top of the Lowe's bucket to where no dust gets out. And I hand crank it, so no 500 RPM drills poofing it all over if it could escape. So I mill in the man cave with no problems at all.

Like Uniondr, I also have a Barley Crusher. I mill inside, but then I take the bucket with grain mill on top outside to do all the un-dusting. Works fine, and I'm very very careful carrying it.... though somehow in the back of my mind I know *sooomeday*.... no matter how far in the future there will probably be a day I mess up and lose grip and will dump grain all over the floor, or the stairs, or outside LOL. Guess the same could easily be said though if I milled outside and carried it back in, since I mash inside. Just 50% less chance of an accident only going one way rather than two :D

Rev.

I mill indoors. Ever since I started conditioning the grains prior to milling there is almost no dust. Another great reason to condition grains.

I put the lid on the bucket & seal it up. I just don't get much dust hand cranking.

You hand crank all your grains? You must be getting buff lol ;) Seriously though, barley is easy, but man when we had Hurricance Sandy knock out power over a week and I milled wheat with a tighter gap by hand I swear I'll never do it again. Wheat is sooooooooo daaaamn hard!!!!!!!

Rev.

You hand crank all your grains? You must be getting buff lol ;) Seriously though, barley is easy, but man when we had Hurricance Sandy knock out power over a week and I milled wheat with a tighter gap by hand I swear I'll never do it again. Wheat is sooooooooo daaaamn hard!!!!!!!

Rev.
Well, I'll give you a quote from my BIL (RIP man)-" I can always tell an auto worker. They all have arms like Popeye"! Is answer question? lol And that wheat is like trying to crush driveway gravel by hand!

I do it outside too, but don't have issues with that much dust.

I have a small store room at one end of my garage where I mill, away from the brewing, bottling and transfers. The only time I see grain dust is when I am pouring from my measuring bucket into my hopper. I think I'll put on a mask now, though.

Barley husks contain lots of little nasties that would love to infect your beer. Mill in a location that will not have the grain dust floating around your brewing area and wort.

Back