Forced change to BCS oatmeal stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jes2xu

Reaction score
So I had a brew day planned this weekend when I realised I dont have enough dark crystal for the oatmeal stout in brewing clasic styles.

I do have some, but I'm about 100g short (so I have a little over half of what is called for). How much is that going to effect the final out come? Normaly I would just wait, but I'm keen to get this on. And I thought seeing as this brew is so dark perhaps it would carry it?

The intended grist is shown in the pic.
ImageUploadedByHome Brew1410503652.682985.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

With the chocolate and roasted barley, I don't think you'll lose color. Do you have any other crystal you could sub in for the last 100g? Either way I think you'll be fine.

With the chocolate and roasted barley, I don't think you'll lose color. Do you have any other crystal you could sub in for the last 100g? Either way I think you'll be fine.

Cheers man,

Yeah been looking for some crystal that I can get hold of over the weekend. I'm not winning haha.

Yeah, bit worried about balancing the acrid flavours of the dark malt etc. will just have to roll with it :)

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

I think it will be fine. If you want more sweetness, you can always mash a couple degrees higher.

Back