Double IPA Warning Label - 137 IBU Single malt IPA.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tacks

Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
Safale US-05
Yeast Starter
None- 1 pack of dry yeast @90*F
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
Tasting Notes
Great malt note since Only Maris Otter used, hoppy but balanced.
This is my best IPA I have brewed thus far, the batch only lasted a couple of weeks (aside from the 3 or 4 bottles I hid), I did not enter it in any competitions but IPA fans loved it. Primarily used Apollo at 18.50%AA, with a hopburst of Northdown near the end of boil.

15# Maris Otter

Mashed @152*F for 45 Min
Sparge Water 170*F for 15 min

1 oz Apollo (18.5%) @60
1 oz Apollo (18.5%) @30
1 oz Apollo (18.5%) @20
1 oz Cascade (5.5%) @10
3oz Northdown (8.5%) @5

Great bitterness and A nice note of the Cascade / Northdown Hops. Those who don't like hops should avoid this one, but I loved it and it did not survive in the basement very long.

Interest in trying this out..the idea of a single malt / single hopped beer is intriguing..especially since I love Maris Otter

Forgive me if I'm wrong but isn't the max like 100 ibu without hop extracts and stuff? I've never brewed an ipa, but the hop bill looks kinda weak for a high ibu.

Forgive me if I'm wrong but isn't the max like 100 ibu without hop extracts and stuff? I've never brewed an ipa, but the hop bill looks kinda weak for a high ibu.

Nope. Hop extracts work the same as other forms, just less mess (and maybe a cleaner bitterness). High AA hops will get you there in a hurry.

There is some debate on the subject, but I know John Palmer and JZ discussed that 100 ibu is the highest you can actually reach. I tend to believe them. Meaning you probably won't taste a difference between something calculated as 100 and another as 137.

Interest in trying this out..the idea of a single malt / single hopped beer is intriguing..especially since I love Maris Otter

Maris Otter is the only malt I have done SMaSH IPA's with, simply because it has been so good that I didn't want to steer away from it. I may in the future, but it is a great grain if you are only going to use one in your recipe.

There is some debate on the subject, but I know John Palmer and JZ discussed that 100 ibu is the highest you can actually reach. I tend to believe them. Meaning you probably won't taste a difference between something calculated as 100 and another as 137.

I had not heard that, obviously they have much bigger brewing chops that I do, but I will say I can taste the difference between this one and the other SMaSH I did that beersmith calculated to be 178 IBU (Used almost a pound of hops in that one, mostly hopburst at about 10 minutes), however I attribute that mostly to the way in which I did my additions and also I varied types of hops. In either case, there are larger breweries that also advertise their beers being over 100 IBU as well (Heady Topper at 131, I think? Huma Lupa Licious at 140 etc), so I figured that it was correct math-wise if not technically accurate, thanks for the info though, I may be looking that up in a couple minutes here.

I _could_ be wrong, but I don't think I am: I believe they said 100 IBUs was the most that could be TASTED, and beyond that it all tastes the same. I think _measured_ IBUs can exceed 100.

Back