Bottling out of fermenter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JG81

Reaction score
Hi all- I'm ready to bottle my Guinness clone. The recipe calls for moving the beer to a bottling bucket and that's when the sugar/water mix goes in. I'd like to just bottle from the fermenter. Can I just pour the sugar/water mix into the fermenter before bottling and give it a couple spoons around?

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Why?

Put the priming mix in to the bucket and then siphon the beer in to the bucket. You'll get a better mix of the priming solution in to the beer and you'll get a cleaner, sludge free beer at the end of it.

You can, and it will carbonate, but you will likely stir up a ton of gunk (that's a technical term). This will not be a positive enhancement to your flavor. Good chance of ruining an otherwise good beer.

I think it's worth taking the extra time to rack into a clean container before bottling.

The only way I can see doing it directly from a fermenter is to rack to bottles directly (no sugar addition in the fermenter), and use carbonation tabs. Minimal disturbance when the beer is on the yeast/trub is best.

It's possible, not worth it.

Siphoning to a bottling bucket leaves behind the trub that settles out during the fermentation process. This crap will make your beer cloudy and taste off/(most likely) bad. A bottling bucket will help with clarity, tastes, and even carbonation.

Thanks all! Will do the other bucket

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Good call! Post some pictures of the process/bottled/drinking!

Good luck with the beer.

My primary has a tap and I bottle directly from primary. Just add sugar syrup to primary and stir just a few inches below surface (nowhere near trub). Never had any issues with oxidation since disturbance is below surface and not disturbing the trub. But many people seem to disagree with this method. I'm not saying it's the correct way to do it. Far from it. But it can work and it can produce great beer.

Palmer lists the method, instructing you to let it settle a bit after stirring.
I bottle from my fermenter using sugar cubes to prime the bottles, there are threads on that method.

Back