Carbonation and yest

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bmathews

Reaction score
I know that c 02 is one by product of yeast, but I'm wondering if it has any effect on the yeast.

Are you asking about the effect of the additional carbon dioxide in solution that is present in carbonated beer compared to fermenting beer? It's normally 2-3 volumes for carbonating compared to the one volume during fermentation. I wouldn't expect this to effect the yeast much but this is not something I have researched significantly.

Ya I was just wondering if the added pressure or the extra co2 gas had any effect on the yeasts ability to work their magic

I think only when it gets higher in pressure. I added enough sugar to my keg to produce 60 psi at room temp. Only got up to 48 or so. I think i didnt reach my target because the pressure inhibited the yeasts ability to work. Not sure though. I'm not a scientist.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

OK ya I accidentally carbonated during secondary haha seems OK but it got me thinking which is a scary thing haha

OK ya I accidentally carbonated during secondary haha seems OK but it got me thinking which is a scary thing haha

Your secondary doesn't have a pressure relief?

I carbonate inside keg. Its a serving vessel and a secondary i guess. Built a spunding valve so even if i accidentally add too much sugar i can still bleed off the excess pressure. Or if i transfer early enough into keg i don't even need to add sugar. Just takes a few gravity points to carbonate your beer.

Your secondary doesn't have a pressure relief?

I carbonate inside keg. Its a serving vessel and a secondary i guess. Built a spunding valve so even if i accidentally add too much sugar i can still bleed off the excess pressure. Or if i transfer early enough into keg i don't even need to add sugar. You just need a few points of gravity to carbonate your beer.

Ya it still had a little activity left when I moved it to finish in the keg and forgot to let off the pressure. Now it's carbonated though so it saves me a step

I know that c 02 is one by product of yeast, but I'm wondering if it has any effect on the yeast.

CO2 does not have any effect on yeast, no. Yeast can operate (but not reproduce) without oxygen, CO2 is a byproduct of fermentation but it doesn't really bother the yeast. What will kill yeast is the alcohol in your beer.

Latest posts

Back