Krausen in suspension

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DoomRider

Reaction score
Hello all. I have brewed 30 batches of beer and today when I opened the lid to my fermenter (bucket) I saw something I have never seen before. I brewed a Rye Pale Ale exactly 3 weeks ago today, but when I opened the bucket to check the gravity, there is still Krausen on the top and all in suspension. I took the gravity reading, and all is good (1.010), but there was krausen residue all through the sample. It tasted great, by the way. It doesn’t look like an infection at all (I have seen enough of those through the “is my beer infected” thread).

I have heard that certain yeast strains will do this from time to time, but I have never seen it before. NO WAY I would even try to bottle this until it falls all the way (as I think it would clog up my wracking cane), and I need to take another gravity reading in couple days to make sure it is done.

So, being that the gravity seemed correct, I decided to rearrange my refrigerator, and put the fermenter in there. First time cold crashing, and hopefully that drops everything out of suspension.

Anyone ever see this before, and if so, what did you do. I have included the recipe below. Mind you I brewed this on 7/5/14.

Rye Pale Ale
Recipe Type: All Grain
Yeast: US-05
Yeast Starter: No
Batch Size (Gallons): 5.00
Original Gravity: 1.052
Final Gravity: 1.004
IBU: 32.8
Boiling Time (Minutes): 60
Color: 10.2

Grains
5lbs Marris Otter (3.0 SRM)
1.5lb Munich Malt (20.0 SRM)
1.5lb Flaked Rye (2.0 SRM)
1lb Honey Malt (25.0 SRM)
0.5lb Cara-pils (2.0 SRM)

Hops
0.50oz Summit (16.50%) - 60min
0.50oz Centennial (8.60%) - 15min
0.50oz Centennial (8.60%) - 5min

Mash at 154 F for 60min

RDWHAHB. Some fermentation products are lighter than water. Attribute it to the fact that, in the end, we all work for our yeast, not the other way around. If they decide to throw some **** that floats, hey, who are we to argue?

Back