Moving to secondary

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

taiko11

Reaction score
Hi there. First post, so I'm sorry if this isn't the correct place to put this.
I've had a beer sitting in primary for 3 weeks, and from what I can tell it's pretty much finished fermenting. If I moved this to secondary without it actively producing CO2 would it damage the beer through oxidation, or do you think I would be fine?

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Home Brew mobile app

Many on here don't use a secondary. It is a long running dispute. I'm old & patient & try to make the best beer I can every time. Hence, I secondary all my beers & I also keg condition.
If your fermentation is complete, i.e., steady FG readings for three days you can proceed. If you choose to secondary make sure to avoid splashing and fill your secondary carboy. Use an airlock. You'll probably see some bubbling as the beer degasses. After a week to ten days you can package (bottle or keg). Temperature control is not as critical during secondary but keeping it out of light & avoiding big temp swings is Important.
Good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Transfer to secondary using a siphon, no chance of oxidation. I do it all the time for clearing on my beers. Always use a siphon to prevent oxidation.

Transferring to secondary is a technique best applied when needed. The less exposure to air due to transfers, the better. If you have a reason to transfer, then do it. Maybe you dry hopped in the primary (after fermentation finished) and now want to cold condition the beer off the hops. Maybe you want to harvest yeast earlier than after kegging or bottling. Maybe you want to clarify with gelatin before kegging or bottling.

I don't argue with those who like to use a secondary, but do question racking unnecessarily. For example, if I'm not harvesting yeast, dry hopping, or using gelatin on a dark beer, the beer doesn't leave the initial fermentor until kegging, and that includes cold conditioning for 10 days in the same vessel.

Back