Calling all 2014 Burning Man homebrewers!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dtpd

Reaction score
It's almost that time of year again. Anyone taking some homebrew out there?

I'm heading out from the bay area and I am aiming to bring 12 kegs to the playa. Specifically I am planning on bringing the following kegs:
-1 RIS
-1 Porter
-1 Funky Pale (pilsner/nelson smash fermented with yeast bay funktown)
-1 Saison (pilsner/nelson smash fermented with yeast bay saison/Brett blend)
-2 Simcoe Pale Ale
-4 Habanero IPA
-1 Breakfast Stout
-1 Enjoy By inspired DIPA

I would love to share beers with anyone. I'll be at Camp High Standards at about 545 and H, my name is DT.

Nice one DT! I'll be there but I'm coming from Australia so I won't be bringing any of my brews unfortunately. I'd love to swing by and try a couple of those for sure! Take it easy and see you on the playa !!!

I plan on bringing some to this years burning man. Need to start on a coffee stout soon so it will be ready, and I have a joe's quick grape pyment I just started that I plan on carbonating. Still have lots of time to prepare, but I plan on bringing 6-8 kegs if everything goes well.

Still debating on the best option to serve them though. Posssibly a cooler /jockey box on a bike trailer or just keep them at camp. Hopefully my hexayurt will keep them from getting too hot on the playa.

Still have lots to consider and this will be my first trip to the playa or any burner type event.

Excellent! We'll have another brew tour on Tuesday, I'll post another thread for 2015 as we get closer. We usually pour out of a jockey box. I toyed around with the idea of a bike trailer but decided against it.

WTF is Burning Man??

All I can figure out is that it's some kind of weird hippy gathering in the desert to smoke weed and play with matches...

There are 10 rules to abide by, which include no cash transactions (other than coffee and ice), surviving in a desert for 8 days, bringing everything you need to survive other than bathrooms), radical expressionism, gifting, and participating.

This is one of my favorite videos explaining Burning Man from a perspective a rookie. He is also 81 years old.

I still need to get to it on my brew stuff. I have my oaked cherry apfelwein ready to go, and my joe's grape pyment and a founders coffee stout in process (started at 1.112, may make it KBS). I plan on the lemon lime hefeweizen, a pale ale and a double ipa in the future. Not sure if I will have more than 6 kegs, will play it by ear. I will be driving 1700 miles to get there.

Last edited by a moderator:
I actually saw your post in the founders thread and checked your post history and saw this thread. I had totally forgotten about it. Your stout sounds like its gonna be huge. I brewed a RIS in November that I might bring to the burn this year, but I think it's kinda oxidized. Might just have to brew another one.

Anyway, I put together a homebrew tour last year. On Tuesday we (a group of beer loving strangers) went to many of the homebrew camps at the burn. I think we hit 7 camps. I intend to do the same again this year as we get closer. If you don't have a jockey box or need somewhere to pour your beer there are at least 3 camps I know of that will have multiple taps and will gladly pour your beer.

I toyed around with the idea of a bike trailer but decided against it.
4p.jpg

I need to brew my lemon lime hefeweizen next week, but most everything else is ready to be kegged or just needs to be dryhopped.

I have
KBS clone
10 gallons of citra saison
Pliny clone with fruitier hops
Oaked Cherry apfelwein
Joe's Grape pyment
Lemon Lime hefeweizen

I had the 23rd listed as the last day for brewing before it gets to crunch time, but should be able to deviate a little for the hefe. Everything is going along nicely.

Back