RTDs reading different temps

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

weathejx

Reaction score
(sorry for the cross post with DIY, but I wasn't getting any views/responses)

I have the ever popular SYL-2352 and two RTD probes, a 4" and a 50mm and I've got them wired up to the quick disconnects - all from Auber.

I was calibrating the PID and noticed that the probes read the temperature differently, to the tune of 4-5 degrees.

The 4" is reading 32-33 and the 50mm is reading 28-29.

Thoughts? Does it matter if the two red wires are reversed? I.E. maybe when attaching the QDs, i wired the 4" is wired 1-2-3 and the 50mm is wired 3-2-1?

Thanks!

Difference in red wires don't matter. You DO need to make sure the white's are connecting correctly. There's a difference in the RTD's and that's possible. That's why there's a temperature adjustment on the PID. Shouldn't be a problem unless you're using 2 probes for 1 PID. Even then, if ones for the mash and the other is for BK, calibrate for the mash and just use the one for the BK where you don't need to be as accurate.

I am using the RTDs on the same PID. Ill do as you suggest and calibrate on the 50mm, as it'll be taking the mash temp and the 4" is sitting in the boil. I guess I don't really need the 4", but since I drilled a hole in my kettle, it's staying for now.

Back