Auber SYL-2352 PID not right after auto-tune

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RocketBrewer

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I was doing a test run on my new BK today and all was great until I ran auto-tune. I ran it up to 150 deg. and set auto-tune to go at 160. as it was doing it's thing I was back and forth doing some other chores. All seemed great, unit was flashing AT just as the HLT one had done when I ran it. when it finally stopped flashing the temp reading was whacked, reading anywhere from 350-750. I thought that maybe the temp sensor type may have gotten changed, but it was still set at 21 (as it should for a RTD sensor). The set point still showed 160. I tried switching the HLT and BK sensor connections and still got the same thing (BK sensor worked fine with HLT PID). Has anyone seen this or have any clue what may be happening? Is there a way to re-set it to factory settings? a little frustrating as everything was fine until I ran the auto-tune:(

Give Auber a call. It sounds like you may have a bad PID, and you may as well get them to help either troubleshoot or confirm. The only thing you might want to try first is using the HLT sensor with the BK PID, and confirm that it is still flaky. Otherwise, you appear to have the bases covered.

Try auto-tuning again first. I've seen it behave oddly on occasion and a second auto-tune worked fine.

Kal

I believe that resetting of P, I and D won't help.
More likely you have either issue with wires coming from probe connector to PID or PID's embedded analog circuitry . Try to connect 100-120 Ohm resitor directly to PID terminals instead of probe.

I did reset the P, I, & D settings and it started reading 73 degrees (which I believe was pretty close to ambient temperature in the room). I haven't had time to do anything else with it yet.

I did reset the P, I, & D settings and it started reading 73 degrees (which I believe was pretty close to ambient temperature in the room). I haven't had time to do anything else with it yet.

Did the second run work for you? I had this same thing happen two nights ago when trying first auto tune. I know its not my sensor or wiring as I swapped the same cord to mlt sensor works, swpped the mlt pid to hlt senor and works. I did reset the P,I,D settings. brewing tomorrow for the first time and wondered if I need to swap pids. I could always use the mlt instead. Fingers crossed mine will work tonight with another try.

Thanks in advance!

I have not tried to auto-tune the PID again (Auber told me it wasn't really necessary) and it seems to be working fine with testing thus far. Hope to run my first real batch through it soon!

Back