First Brett Experiment - Suggestions Needed

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pulfson

Reaction score
Figured I would give this part of the forum a shot for once. I had ended up with a in my opinion botched brown ale batch as it accidentally got fermented at 79 degrees since my chest freezer broke. I decided to give souring the batch a shot. Pitched WPL653 on the beer and 6 lbs of tart cherries in secondary.

My questions are, since I have zero experience with brett, how long do I leave it in secondary? Is it suggested to take it off the cherries at any point? I currently have it sitting at 75 with the brett, which is slightly lower than the suggested temp on WhiteLabs, what effects does higher vs lower temps have on brett?

Hopefully you guys can give a bug newbie some pointers.

What was the gravity of the beer when you added the cherries? You will probably want to leave it in secondary until the gravity is stable and it tastes good to you (but what were the flaws in the original?---souring won't necessarily fix them).

You can leave it on the cherries the whole time. Worth noting, though, that brett L by itself will not sour the beer. If that's what you're looking for, you also need to pitch a souring organism like pedio.

Brett might ferment quicker at a higher temperature, but keeping the beer that warm for an extended secondary might also speed up other staling processes. Most people keep brett secondaries in the 60s.

It was around 1.020 when I transferred to secondary with cherries and Brett.
The reason for me making this decision was that it had way too many fruity esters for me to on enjoy the beer as an American brown so I figured I would experiment a bit. I'm not expecting the Brett to necessarily hide any of those flavors but I think they might be better complimented by funk and cherries.

I think my plan will be just to leave it in the low 60's for a few months and see what happens.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Back