bottled a weizenbock

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

timos

Reaction score
I have a weizenbock in bottles now for 17 days. It tasted really nice before bottling. I tried one after 10 days. Put it in fridge for a few hours and poured it. Looks great, good head. Tastes Bad , it seems to have gotten more bitter in a bad way, also a buttery slick taste that it did not have before. I am trying to understand what would cause this diacytle flavor after bottling? Ive searched the forums but found very little.

Now been 36 days in the bottle. The diacytle went away but still has a strange cloying after taste. Not sure if this will improve or not.
The F.G. was 1.013 so i was expecting a much dryer finish.
I did realize though that I used 5 oz of corn sugar and this was only a 3.5 gallon batch. Strong Carbonation, wondering if it was the corn sugar that is giving it a sickly sweet finish?
the SAFbrew wb06 yeast definately gave it some character, reminds me a little of a belgian dubbel

What's your grain bill look like? I have also got some nasty sweet after taste on a stout, from what I think was the priming sugar (table sugar)...could be one of the grains tho.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

steeped 1/2 lb caramunich 1
and 1lb white wheat
brought to boil and removed from heat
stirred in 3.3 lb bavarian wheat LME
1 oz hallertau at 60 min and
1 oz cascade at 30 minutes
1 oz hallertau at flame out
stirred in another 3.3 lb wheat LME with a few minutes left in boil

pretty simple extract and basic specialty grains

I should add that the sickly sweet only shows itself as the beer warms, its not bad right out of the fridge.

Latest posts

Back