Adding crushed campden tabs without diluting

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

strongarm

Reaction score
Does anyone add sulfite (crushed campden tabs or Potassium Metasulfite) directly to their wine without diluting in water? I was in a rush and didn't have time to do the dilution and added directly to my barrel. I imagine there isn't huge risk with sanitation and it will just take more time to dissolve and distribute itself in the wine. Are those assumptions way off. Too late now either way but i'm curious.

Ok, glad I'm not the only one. I have $1500 invested in this batch and was a little worried!

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

The only thing might be how dissolved it gets. I use a pill crusher but that still leaves little chunks that looks like a powder. I dissolve in water only to get the chunks broken up even smaller. Even if there were small chunks, if the entire batch is in a barrel I would expect that over time it would completely disperse and do its thing.

Back