Conceptual Lagering Tank - Need Feedback!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rmleer

Reaction score
Hello,

I have been contemplating a system for Lagering for some time now and have finally landed at a concept in which I think may work. I have read into lagering a little bit, probably should some more but I am asking you guys to maybe give me some feedback. Maybe someone has already created something like this also, you could direct me to similar plans too, that would be great!

My goals in this were to have a dedicated "primary" fermenting tank for lagers and a secondary fridge to keep colder lagering temperatures. I don't want to constantly adjust my fridge from the 44 to 55 range since I will be having multiple beers fermenting at multiple temperatures.

Excuse the crudity of my diagram, I didn't have time to build it to scale or paint it...

My concept in short is to have a "fridge" with a bucket full of cold water 38-42 degrees and a pump to run the liquid from the fridge to the fermenting bucket through a copper tube much like an immersion chiller would do to chill wort. I would have a small aquarium pump to circulate the water. STC-1000 to control the temp of the fermenting bucket.

Any evaluations, comments, suggestions or advice would be great! Thanks!

ChillerFermenter.jpg

Is think that you wouldn't want too much water in the bucket with the carboy as it may bring it to tempt and keep cooling it below your target due to the thermal mass of the water. I have no idea if what I said is true but my two cents.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Genius idea though. I look forward to your results, I'd like to do something similar.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Your concept would work I believe. Search the forum for folks that have created fermentation chillers and you'll see and read that water reservoirs inside refrigerators don't effectively remove heat from water baths.

Another thought to simplify your set up; put your fermenter tub above your reservoir, pump the cold liquid from the reservoir into the bottom of the tub and allow the excess water that's pumped into the tub to overflow back in to the reservoir. This would eliminate the need for a recirculation pump. This doesn't solve the problem mentioned above about overcooling. I think a thermowell inside your fermenter would lead to over cooling. Having the temp sensor in the water bath would probably be best IMO.

Hello,

I have been contemplating a system for Lagering for some time now and have finally landed at a concept in which I think may work. I have read into lagering a little bit, probably should some more but I am asking you guys to maybe give me some feedback. Maybe someone has already created something like this also, you could direct me to similar plans too, that would be great!

My goals in this were to have a dedicated "primary" fermenting tank for lagers and a secondary fridge to keep colder lagering temperatures. I don't want to constantly adjust my fridge from the 44 to 55 range since I will be having multiple beers fermenting at multiple temperatures.

Excuse the crudity of my diagram, I didn't have time to build it to scale or paint it...

My concept in short is to have a "fridge" with a bucket full of cold water 38-42 degrees and a pump to run the liquid from the fridge to the fermenting bucket through a copper tube much like an immersion chiller would do to chill wort. I would have a small aquarium pump to circulate the water. STC-1000 to control the temp of the fermenting bucket.

Any evaluations, comments, suggestions or advice would be great! Thanks!

ChillerFermenter.jpg

Wait like a hawk on craigslist then just get a free fridge or pay like 40 bucks... waaaaay better use of your time and money. This way you have the fridge do all of the heavy lifting instead of the copper coils...

Back