Brewtarget Fly Sparge

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Danno77

Reaction score
I see some really old posts saying this is not possible with Brewtarget 1.2 or something. I'm currently running the newest 2.0.2 and am not seeing the option to do fly sparging.

So 1st question: Am I just missing how to do that?

and if it's STILL not an option: To whom do I make my complaint / feature request?

I am really liking Brewtarget, and I know there are other options out there, but this feature would make it absolutely perfect for my needs, so I'd like to stick with it a little longer...

I see some really old posts saying this is not possible with Brewtarget 1.2 or something. I'm currently running the newest 2.0.2 and am not seeing the option to do fly sparging.

So 1st question: Am I just missing how to do that?

and if it's STILL not an option: To whom do I make my complaint / feature request?

I am really liking Brewtarget, and I know there are other options out there, but this feature would make it absolutely perfect for my needs, so I'd like to stick with it a little longer...

We are using https://launchpad.net/brewtarget for bugs reports and feature requests.

I would ask for a fairly clear description of what you want beyond "support fly sparging". I don't fly sparge and I don't think rocketman does either, which makes it difficult to design the feature or test it.

Mik

We are using https://launchpad.net/brewtarget for bugs reports and feature requests.

I would ask for a fairly clear description of what you want beyond "support fly sparging". I don't fly sparge and I don't think rocketman does either, which makes it difficult to design the feature or test it.

Mik

I've been using Brewtarget for about a year. Many thanks. Good program.

I love and use brewtarget too. I also batch sparge. I don't understand your question. In the mash you add a sacc. rest then a sparge, it doesn't matter to the software the process you sparge with a sparge is a sparge as far as the software goes... no?

I'm a brewtarget user and I fly sparge. All that i do is put in a single infusion step at my target temperature, then use the Mash Wiz to tell me what that volume and infusion temp that step should be. What it adds as "Final Batch Sparge" is the temperature and volume I use for fly sparging.

I'm farily new to homebrewing and haven't used any other software, so I could easily be missing something, but that process has been working for me.

TallDan, That's pretty much what I've been doing as well. If one knows how to fly sparge, then it's not really a big deal other than brewday instructions.

I'm just new to this stuff, and if a computer can tell me the temps that I should be using, then that's better advice than I'm gonna get by just making it up myself.

here's an example of what my current 80-acre clone directions say to do for mashing (some editing here):

Heat 1.25 qt. of water per lb. of grain to 20°F higher than desired mash temperature. Ideal mash temperature is 150°F. Mash the grains in the hot water for 60 minutes. Heat 5 gallons of water to 175°F, and put in hot liquor tank. Once mash is complete begin to recirculate the wort for 10-15 minutes until wort is clear, and free of grain husks. Begin the sparge and runoff into the kettle at the same rate. A rate of 12 minutes per gallon is ideal, be sure to keep 1 –2 inches of water on top of the grain bed...

I don't know if there is any difference that could be added to the software that would change the brew profile. I kinda doubt it. The problem I had when I was using a 5 gallon tun if I was on the upper end of capacity I would have to do two batch sparges in the software and add them together to get how much water I needed to fill up my kettle.
So my request would be to have a check box for fly sparge that would lift the tun volume limits.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Home Brew mobile app

I don't know if there is any difference that could be added to the software that would change the brew profile. I kinda doubt it. The problem I had when I was using a 5 gallon tun if I was on the upper end of capacity I would have to do two batch sparges in the software and add them together to get how much water I needed to fill up my kettle.
So my request would be to have a check box for fly sparge that would lift the tun volume limits.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Home Brew mobile app

Ok. That makes sense. Let me look into it and see if I can make that happen.

Mik

Latest posts

Back