Do You Guys Have Beer Daily, Or Am I A Drunk ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dstranger99

Reaction score
There is no better place on the entire internet to talk about this than here at homebrewtalk. IMO ??

I love beer ! I love our hobby, I love the junk we put together, I love to read about beer, discuss beer, I love the possibility that one day I too will create a masterpiece in a bottle.

With that being said, The CDC and everyone else has set limits. 2 a day for guys, only 1 for women (Poor Yooper)... :)

Now, with craft beers like ours, or others like Sierra that average 5-6% ABV, some I've seen on shelves hit 7%. Is 2 per day still ok ?

Many years ago (until I grew a brain) I would drink 12 Bud lites in one evening, weak p*ss in a can. My doctor didn't like that! Neither did my liver, so after adjusting to 1/2 of that, my liver test thanked me. :)

Now, my routine is two "good" Craft brews nightly, and two of my lite 3% Homebrew Session beer.......

Still too much ?.........What do you guys think ??... What do you guys do ??

I make high alcohol stuff and I usually have one or two a night. I do that for 3 or 4 days then I need a day or two off. I've been drinking some wine lately and a whole bottle to myself is just a little too much.

No two people are alike so I don't see how a blanket statement like "2 a day for men and 1 a day for women" can be a set in stone rule. I see it more as a rough guideline. Back in the day people lived on ale and other fermented liquids because it was safer to drink than water. So were they wrong? No, because the water would have killed them.

I have high cholesterol. It runs in my family. I could eat salads all day every day and without medication, I'd still have high cholesterol. So, I try to eat somewhat healthy. I try to stay away from fast food, fried foods, fatty dairy products as much as possible. BUT I'm sure there are plenty of people out there who could eat that stuff all day long and never have cholesterol problems.

I believe the same goes for alcohol. Maybe some people shouldn't have 2 beers a day. Maybe they should be drinking less. Maybe others can drink 3-4 beers a day with no health related problems.

I drink at least one beer each and every day- most often more than one, usually two or three.

There are some health risks associated with more than "moderate" drinking, such as an increased breast cancer risk which I am aware of- so it is wise to take care of yourself and drink less if you have health issues like diabetes or heart disease.

I don't drink hard liquor at all (except for a rare occasion), and rarely a tiny bit of wine with dinner- but I love my beer!

I just got a physical a couple of months ago, and I'm in great shape. I have low blood sugar, low blood pressure, healthy levels of cholesterol/triglycerides, and am at a healthy BMI and body fat percentage.

I do watch what I eat, and I haven't had a doughnut in nearly 30 years. I think that making intelligent choices about what to put in (and on!) my body makes a huge difference in total health.

If I had any health concerns or issues at all, I would reduce my beer consumption. But at this stage in my life, I'm healthy and fit. That's the benchmark I think. I never binge drink.

For some people, one drink a day may be too much if they have other health issues.

I brew almost every other weekend and I almost never drink. In a given month, I'll drink 3 or 4 times and in those times it's usually no more 1-3 beers. Always on weekends as well.

That's me personally. I love making beer far more than I enjoy drinking it. Not because I don't care for the taste as I do very much. I just don't have a desire to drink.

I have friends that usually have a beer a night on average, sometimes more.

On the flip side, I do enjoy having a cup of coffee. So I guess I'm more of an upper kind of guy and not a downer.

Looks like cocaine for me not heroin.

I look forward to enjoying my homebrew each day but I have to tell you, this homebrew kicks my ass haha. I am bottling up two growlers for a friend this weekend and warned him, there's something magical about it. I haven't had any in a bit though, it's my first batch and I think my body is adjusting to the yeast. I have a ***** of a stomach.

Like posted earlier, if you're grouchy if you don't get any one day, maybe drinking isn't for you. I drink to enjoy the beautyl craft that beer is. Not to get wasted. Going to be different for everyone. But I look forward to my stomach feeling better so I can get home and draw a pint or two after work.

It's called being an enthusiast. Alcohol has negative stereotypes around the world, just like anything else. Take something harmless as couponing (I don't know why this comes to mind), you can coupon occasionally when you go shopping or you can be one of those "extreme couponers" that clip every one they see, catalog it, and manage a hoard of obscure items in their basement.

I think being a "drunk" has separate connotations than someone who otherwise just drinks often. If you were to compare yourself with the average Czech, you'd find that you're probably right on track. If your health is okay, and nobody thinks you're an a##hole, have a beer!

For some people, one drink a day may be too much if they have other health issues.

Back when I had liver enzymes a little higher than normal (borderline) My Dr. gave me this analogy:

"There's this old drunk Russian, he drinks 2 bottles of Vodka a day, and there's nothing wrong with him, Me & You have 2 beers or a glass of wine and get cirrosis"......

So, it's all in what you're made of, apparently my liver came in the form of one of those sh*t prizes you find in a cracker jack box........:)

It seems acceptable to me, but only the individual can determine that. Some people are very fit and active and can get away more, as they metabolize it quicker.

My beer consumption ebbs and flows. I tend to consume more in the summer. I take a minimum of 3 days away from the brew every 1-2 weeks. For me, it re-calibrates things. I appreciate the taste much more and require much less to feel satisfied.

cheers

On average:
I would say I have 1-2 beers 5 days per week
I have none maybe 1 day per week
I have 3+ 1 day per week

As a tradeoff, I only drink coffee and water for the most part - no calories. I use milk on cereal. I might drink some fruit juice or tomato juice a few times a week - we make, and can, about 50 quarts of spicy bloody mary mix from home grown vegetables - I drink that a fair amt. - usually without any vodka - so I count it as "vegetables:)"

I gave up pop as a tradeoff to beer. Figure it is not much worse than people who are drinking 64 ounces or more of pepsi or mt. dew a day. Probably better.

I average 2-3 per day as long as it's my homebrew. 1-2 if it's the bigger store bought beers. I make low ABV beers (2.5-5%) so it's easier to have a few.
I'll cut myself down to 1 a day if I go on a diet though.

It definitely ebbs and flows with me. The busier I am around the house and such, the less I drink. I'm not one for doing things like chores or home improvement while drinking. I prefer to drink while relaxing so if I have stuff to do, I'm generally not drinking. I don't drink daily. I don't have a reason, I just don't. I go through phases where I prefer something like a soda over beer or tea over coffee. Things like that.

yeah for me it's 2 a day

2 growlers

Seriously though, it sounds like you had some alcohol-associated liver changes in the past. I think it's great to get everyone's opinion. But everyone is different and if you really want good information regarding *you* the best person to ask is your doctor.

Bottom line is, you know yourself better than we ever could. So, if you think you're drinking too much then you probably are. 1-2 per day is a good guideline to follow. That's about where I end up without trying to limit myself. I'm like Yooper, I normally drink at least one beer everyday. Sometimes more, sometimes less. I also don't drink beer to catch a buzz. Usually, If I start to get buzzed, I'll switch to water or slack off. If I'm drinking socially though, sometimes I'll indulge myself a little more. If you really want to know if you have a problem, try going for a week without drinking. That will tell you the real story. A friend of mine is thinking about doing just that for lent. I thought about joining him, but I'm just now getting my pipeline back in order and I want to drink my pale ale while it's fresh.

My typical liquid consumption in the course of a day is 2 cups of coffee in the morning, water during the day, and 1-3 beers in the evening. On weekends I might have as many as 4-6, but they're more spaced out over the course of the day (or they're smaller samples like bottle shares on brew day). Mainly I drink because I enjoy beer, not to get drunk. I sacrifice other sugary stuff so that I can afford the 'empty' calories from beer. I don't drink sodas or other soda-like drinks. I rarely eat sugary sweets (with the exception of whatever seasonal Reese's treat is available, but I try to be moderate). YMMV.

yeah for me it's 2 a day

2 growlers

Seriously though, it sounds like you had some alcohol-associated liver changes in the past. I think it's great to get everyone's opinion. But everyone is different and if you really want good information regarding *you* the best person to ask is your doctor.

Yes, elevated liver enzymes, once I cut back to 4 daily they went back to normal. But of course over time I blew it, went back to old habits and screwed them up again. It just looks like I'm gonna be one of those people to limit my intake, try to stick with 2-3 a day. Which is fine with me, it beats 0....:beard:

It's usually 1, and sometimes 2 an evening for me. I rarely drink soda anymore and I usually have 1/2-1 cup of coffee in the morning. Just kind of a habit, but lately I've switched to Decaf due to a sensitivity.

Anyway, I will normally have that 1-2 a day, and I rarely miss a day. I might have 3 on a weekend during the whole day, and frankly that is usually enough by the third one. Once in a while I'll go to a brewday or a brewfest and cut loose a little bit. But alcohol usually hits me hard and fast, so I tend to be careful.

Heart problem kind of run in my family, so I keep an eye on it (Should eat better and exercise more, but it's been a terrible winter, so I'm using that as some kind of excuse) and strive to get the benefits of a 1-2 a day lifestyle the AMA prescribes.

I drink at least one beer each and every day- most often more than one, usually two or three.

There are some health risks associated with more than "moderate" drinking, such as an increased breast cancer risk which I am aware of- so it is wise to take care of yourself and drink less if you have health issues like diabetes or heart disease.

I don't drink hard liquor at all (except for a rare occasion), and rarely a tiny bit of wine with dinner- but I love my beer!

I just got a physical a couple of months ago, and I'm in great shape. I have low blood sugar, low blood pressure, healthy levels of cholesterol/triglycerides, and am at a healthy BMI and body fat percentage.

I do watch what I eat, and I haven't had a doughnut in nearly 30 years. I think that making intelligent choices about what to put in (and on!) my body makes a huge difference in total health.

If I had any health concerns or issues at all, I would reduce my beer consumption. But at this stage in my life, I'm healthy and fit. That's the benchmark I think. I never binge drink.

i like your take on it, miss.
i am a moderate drinker. i dont drink at all one or two nights a week and another 1 or 2 i drink 1 or 2.
thursdays and sundays i tend to drink more.
i get a laugh outta people that tell you how bad alcohol is for you while they smoke, are obese, drink a ton of soda, eat highly processed chemically preserved foods, get no exercise... yet they act high and mighty since they rarely drink. beer has been around forever and i suspect we dont drink more than our ancestors.
the US has the silliest views on drinking compared to europe.
this fall/winter took a toll on my physique, but i typically have or am near having a defined 6 pack, and perfect cardiovascular health.
i almost love when lumpy couch potatos preach over the internet about drinking!

why so many of these threads latley???

Yes, I drink beer daily and I would say I average 4 pints a day. Now, maybe I am a drunk, who knows.

Outside of exceeding the daily recommended alcohol limits I am in perfect heath. If for whatever reason I am out of beer, I don't need or crave it and outside of a few killer hangovers alcohol has never had any sort of major negative impact on my life. My wife has expressed some concerns about my drinking, but basically in a "you shouldn't exceed the daily limits because I'm worried your liver is going to melt" kind of way. Not in a "this is effecting our relationship" kind of way.

Basically even though I drink daily, and even though I go outside the recommended daily limits, I don't feel like I have a negative relationship with alcohol and nobody in my life has brought up that concern with me. I am not an alcoholic, I am a beeroholic. ;)

(Should eat better and exercise more, but it's been a terrible winter, so I'm using that as some kind of excuse) and strive to get the benefits of a 1-2 a day lifestyle the AMA prescribes.

That's me as well, this winter just won't end, but come spring/summer/fall I'm always out in the yard, shed, etc. For the past several months it's been the couch & TV. Beer just seems to go with that setting...

For the past several months it's been the couch & TV. Beer just seems to go with that setting...

Me too. Of cosure when the weather warms up there's nothing better after a long day of working outside than a few cold ones.

And I like to grill outside a lot when the weather's nice and I can't smoke a brisket without having a beer.

Oh, and fishing and beer just seem to go together.

Wait a minute … maybe beer just goes with dang near everything?

Make take is, if you're asking the question, you're already approaching (or have even passed) the point of too much.

Binge drinking is obviously subpar for your health, but for many people, so is "constant" drinking, even if moderate.

Take a break for a while, see what happens.

I love beer, I do not drink to get drunk. I have one or two a night and I really do savour the complexity of flavours which seem to change daily. I drink a craf beer off the shelf to enjoy it, Anges it and get inspiration.

I am not dependant on beer. But I do find the whole experience relaxing after what are normally stressful days at work.

I could do without it but choose not too because it is my hobby and passion like coffee.

The only complaint from the family is the after effect my current brew is having on me. All I can say is hat I am not helping reduce global warming. I want to start a thread on tha but just can't bring myself to do it!!!

I brew almost every other weekend and I almost never drink. In a given month, I'll drink 3 or 4 times and in those times it's usually no more 1-3 beers. Always on weekends as well.

That's me personally. I love making beer far more than I enjoy drinking it. Not because I don't care for the taste as I do very much. I just don't have a desire to drink.

On the flip side, I do enjoy having a cup of coffee. So I guess I'm more of an upper kind of guy and not a downer.

What the hell do u do with all that beer?!?!?

sent from Galaxy S4 after a few beers using homebrew talk app

I usually drink 1 a Night for 3-4 nights a week, have two 1-2 Nights, and don't drink at all 1-2 nights. I don't enjoy anything more than a light Buzz anymore and i tend to Buzz quickly. My thinking is that the beer world is so expansive and the beer craft is such a wonderful thing that i want to try them all and when i don't drink, i feel Like I'm slacking on that quest. However, the checkout girl at the local Total Wine recently said she didn't need to see my ID because she remembered me (I'm in my 20s), but she was cute so I was ok with it.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Home Brew mobile app

I work offshore where I can't drink at all for 4 weeks strait. So when I am home, I drink every night. Generally about 4-5 per night. That is far from drunk for me though. I weight about 215 and have a muscular build, so I soak up alcohol like a sponge and don't feel the effects like a lot of people.

Dear Dstranger99 in Charlottesville,

It's ok. This is not an uncommon problem with men your age. Most men suffer from this on a monthly basis, although they don't usually talk
about it. I applaud your coming out with this and bringing it to the forefront. The best advice is to relax, don't worry. Give it a day or two and it
will go away. You'll be emptying fridges in no time.

Stay thirsty my friend,

I'm thinking being your friend is a really good thing! Are there any homes for sale in your neighborhood?

I'm thinking being your friend is a really good thing! Are there any homes for sale in your neighborhood?
I was thinking the same thing:mug:

Seriously though, this thread reminds me of advice my dad gave me when I was a teenager.
"Son, don't do/consume anything so much that you have to quit"

That advice has guided me well.Since I started home-brewing my consumption went up to levels that made me feel was getting unhealthy. So i've been taking a break, and am happy to say that after a week, I've not felt any withdrawals or grumpiness. Actually I've been sleeping better and more motivated to work out. So for me I'm estimating a healthy consumption is 2-3 beers, once or twice a week. That's just me though.

I work a compressed schedule from 6pm to 6am 3 days one week, 4 days the next week. I don't drink at all on work nights. When I'm off I don't flip my sleep schedule because that really messes me up and leaves me miserable and cranky. So, on my off nights as I sit alone in a quiet house I tend to drink more than I should. It spans 10 hours, so my actual ethanol consumption per hour is relatively small (I don't usually get hammered), but the number of beers I have is higher than what most people would think of as okay. I don't drink any soda or other sugary drinks at all. I avoid them like the plague. I drink a few cups of coffee within 2hrs of waking up and after that it's water until late, when I switch to beer.

I work a compressed schedule from 6pm to 6am 3 days one week, 4 days the next week. I don't drink at all on work nights. When I'm off I don't flip my sleep schedule because that really messes me up and leaves me miserable and cranky. So, on my off nights as I sit alone in a quiet house I tend to drink more than I should. It spans 10 hours, so my actual ethanol consumption per hour is relatively small (I don't usually get hammered), but the number of beers I have is higher than what most people would think of as okay. I don't drink any soda or other sugary drinks at all. I avoid them like the plague. I drink a few cups of coffee within 2hrs of waking up and after that it's water until late, when I switch to beer.

Describes my schedule to a T except A I work 6:30pm to 6:30am and I drink sodas and whatnot instead of coffee

My hobby has put so much booze in the house, my booze habit has got too big, i simply drink too much !
But I enjoy it so much, I like a few beers every day.
I am addressing it now by using a smaller glass and visiting the keg just as often , the goal being to half my consumption.

Weekend Warrior myself. I usually have 4 on Friday and Saturday evenings. Nothing during the week.

Latest posts

Back