Inner closed pot/mesh volume for biab

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gugguson

Reaction score
Hello guys.

I have a 72L/19gallon pot which I use for biab. It has a 5500W element at the bottom. I'm planning on having a pot on the inside with stainless mesh at the top and bottom with circulation pushing the wort from the bottom and the overflow on the top (and somewhat at the bottom) should make the heat transfer even (similar to braumeister).

I usually have a about 9-14 kg / 19-30lbs (could change somewhat if I get higher efficiency) of grains with at least 55L/15gallon in each brew so I would like to have the inner pot/mesh height to be around 30-35cm/11.8-13.7in but I'm wondering what is a good with/volume of the inner mesh to get this amount of corn without the danger of using all the water to filling the inner mesh (with powerful circulation).

So do you guys think the inner volume should be around 30L/8gallon or somewhat higher/lower?

Regards,
Johann

Back