CO2 stone in keg?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

seanppp

Reaction score
Forgive me if this idea is already being done. If not, what do you think of the idea?

I know they sell keg lids with a CO2 stone, but what about using a long dip tube on the CO2 port with a CO2 stone at the end of it? Would this cause problems when it comes time to serve the beer? What do you think of the idea?

I've tinkered with it to force carbonate kegs. I noticed you really got to be careful and anticipate any move you make so no beer backs up into your CO2 system. Yeah, I've experienced some issues, it's not smooth sailing.

I've tinkered with it to force carbonate kegs. I noticed you really got to be careful and anticipate any move you make so no beer backs up into your CO2 system. Yeah, I've experienced some issues, it's not smooth sailing.

Cant you just install a check valve?

I have check valves on the regulators so at least they are protected, but cleaning and sanitizing the CO2 lines is a lot of hassle. A check valve down the line right before the QD would be advisable, yes.

The core of the issue is, as soon as the pressure in the keg exceeds the pressure in the CO2 line, beer starts to back up... That's why got to stay on top of every move you make.

A hose on the gas dip tube with a stone attached works great. Never had any back flow issues. Morebeer even makes a similar setup on a keg lid! Speed carbing without the danger of over carbing is nice...

Back