Omg sg fg og wth

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bill6139

Reaction score
I added the Home Brew app with the thought of learning more. Now I'm confused. As I read through the different posts I'm seeing things like OG and SG and FG. I get they are types of gravity readings but is there some some sort of primer somewhere explaining what these are and how they are used? When are they used anf how?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Home Brew mobile app

SG stands for Specific Gravity. The specific gravity of a wort or beer is the relative density of the given liquid in relation to pure water. Pure water has an SG of 1.000.

OG stands for Original Gravity. This is the SG of the wort right at the beginning of the fermentation process.

FG stands for Final Gravity. This, obviously, is the SG of the beer at the end of the fermentation process.

As your wort gets fermented by the yeast and turns into beer, the SG will drop as the yeasts eat up the sugars and excrete CO2 and alcohol.

To estimate an ABV% (alcohol by volume percentage) of your beer, take the OG, subtract the FG, and then multiply that number by 131.25.

Example: A beer that has an OG of 1.060 and an FG of 1.010 would have an estimated ABV of 6.56%.

When is SG used? When is OG used? When is FG used?

SG is used at different times of the brewing process. Extract brewers need to take less SG samples than all-grain brewers. Extract brewers typically only need to take one SG reading on brew day - the OG reading, which is taken after the boil process is complete. And even then, it's pretty optional. If you used all of the extract materials that you were supposed to and your volume is correct, then it's tough to have an OG to be something that it's not supposed to be.

All-grain brewers typically take an SG reading after the mashing process but before the boil, so they can verify that their SG is where it's supposed to be, and if it's not, then possibly take corrective action to adjust the wort. Then, after the boil, they take a second SG reading to again verify that things are where they should be, and again take corrective action if needed, and if everything is good to go, then that SG reading is the OG.

FG readings are taken after the fermentation process is complete, and for most beers, that process is usually completed within a week to ten days, usually shorter than that. And then they are taken three days later and compared to the previous FG reading to see if they are the same. If they are, then it's a pretty sure bet that the yeast are done reducing the specific gravity, and one can bottle up or keg the beer.

Keep in mind that even though the fermentation process is complete as far as the SG readings are concerned, this does not mean that the yeasts aren't doing other things to improve the taste / quality of the beer. Many homebrewers on here will tell you that it's a good idea to leave your beer sit and ferment for at least two or three weeks, to let the yeasts "clean up" certain compounds that may give your beer some unwanted off-flavors. Some beers really benefit from the extra time, some benefit from being bottled or kegged up fast and then drank very fresh. A big part of the art of homebrewing is figuring out when to do what to which beers.

Possible sticky for the beginners. I have brewed 3 batches with no SG measurements. This past batch I did. This thread was all I needed. Thanks.

:mug:

Just tested by three step mash german her with 7 lbs of wheat. 4.46% ABV. Perfect. Easy drinking for summer. That was my goal.

True. But all I have to do duplicate it in a couple months. But 75 deg in winter is good for a Heff too in Southern California. ;)

Prost!!!

True. But all I have to do duplicate it in a couple months. But 75 deg in winter is good for a Heff too in Southern California. ;)

Prost!!!

Make that a couple of weeks and a couple of weeks and a couple of weeks and you might have some for summer. I notice beers disappear fairly quickly.:mug:

Possible sticky for the beginners. I have brewed 3 batches with no SG measurements. This past batch I did. This thread was all I needed. Thanks.

:mug:

Just tested by three step mash german her with 7 lbs of wheat. 4.46% ABV. Perfect. Easy drinking for summer. That was my goal.

This information is already in the stickies...

Back