Freezer painting question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ralphadopolis

Reaction score
So I want to paint my freezer black, but the freezer walls are smooth and have no texture. What kind of results should I expect when using Rust-Oleum appliance paint on a smooth surface.

Hit the surface you are going to be painting with some high grit sand paper. This will give your paint something to hold onto.

A new coat of paint will make near anything look good as new.

Consider doing sanding + chalk board paint. Then you can write the names of the beers on it.

image.jpg

Thanks for the suggestions guys, but I'm not a big fan of the chalkboard look. Wondering if anyone has painted their freezer gloss black on a freezer that has a smooth finish.

Mine had a smooth finish, but like they said, just used 200 grit sandpaper and painted away. The first coat will come off looking like camouflage, fear not. Coat 2 will make it look better. I did 3 coats of black rustoleum appliance paint and the thing looks terrific... just sanded before coat 1, and sanded VERY lightly in areas where it didn't stick before coat 3.

Sand, PRIME, then color...you'll get better results.

If the appliance paint does not call for primer, well, then simply paint away after the light sanding...multiple thin coats until you get the coverage and depth in color you want.

It will be fine!

If you want to get really fancy you can always go over the final coat of paint with some clear coat. I'd let the paint sit for a while to cure before hitting it with the clear though.

You can't get a very glossy finish this way. Base coat clear coat. It's how we paint cars.

Back