Applejack questions I couldn't find the answers to

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

twofocused

Reaction score
I put this in the cider forum but, didn't get any answers or even thoughts.

I have read and google fu'd until my eyes are ready to bleed but there are a few questions that I cannot find answers to. Let me tell you the game plan so you can better answer my questions. I'm looking at doing 5 gallons AJ, yeast energizer, and Nottingham yeast and will ferment around 65 degrees for as long as needed.

1. I fully understand that methanol will be present in the same amount as the 5 gallon batch but, someone had mentioned letting it sit at 170 degrees on the stove top after jacking. I read this and it seemed interesting but, no one commented on it and the thread was from 2007 so I didn't waste my time pm'ing that member. Would this work to reduce methanol if nothing but, for taste sake.

2. Should I clear it before or after jacking? Once again a fellow member did a detailed write up of "Apple Lightning" and he said to never clear (finings,gelatin,etc) before jacking but, didn't say why.

3. Can I freeze a better bottle. I though it would be nice to just freeze a better bottle in a deep freeze and then turn upside down on top of a sanitized bucket to catch the jack. Think it would work or would it contort the bottle?

Thanks, J
aka just a new excited cider maker

1 - My understanding of distillation from science class way back when is that it doesn't work like that; but, that is getting into a subject matter that is not allowed on this site.

2 - IDK

3 - You should be fine as long as you pay close attention that you don't fully freeze or you will burst the BB. But, PET is rated to something like -30C, it might get a little brittle at super low temps but you would be within spec in a freezer.

I think freezing the better bottle with the wine in it would work. BUT, I would worry about expansion when it's freezing. I'd wonder if leaving a bit of headspace in the better bottle would help out there?

I've recently watched a couple youtube videos of a guy making applejack and he used finnings before freezing and it seemed like it still came out nice for him. So i'm not sure why there would be a recommendation to do that afterwards as opposed to before hand.

Different types of alcohol boil at different temperatures. Likewise they freeze at different temperatures. The temperature differences can be as little as 1 or 2 degrees. You will have to have a very fine control of the temperature.

I think the best way to control the type of alcohol you produce outside of distillation, is in the fermentation process.

Back