Bottling question on semi sweet cider

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ThePickle512

Reaction score
Just filled my bottling bucket with a peach apple cider with an OG of 1.064 and FG at 1.001. A little drier than I wanted but the red star champagne yeast works quickly. Still active and I back sweetened with more apple juice and priming sugar. When I did my last batch using Nottingham, it took three days to carbonate and I pasturized. This yeast looks very active and I was looking for suggestions on what the carbonation time might be before pasturizing or cold shocking. I am using a plastic bottle for a reference, but I'm guessing not long at all. Don't want gushers! Thanks.

I've had gushers with the red star champagne yeast after 3 days. I'd check every 6-8 hours if possible. And don't just rely on the plastic bottle--I did that and still had gushers. Crack one open to be sure.

hallerobin said:
I've had gushers with the red star champagne yeast after 3 days. I'd check every 6-8 hours if possible. And don't just rely on the plastic bottle--I did that and still had gushers. Crack one open to be sure.

Thanks for the advice. I bottled at 6pm and when going to work at 6am I tested the plastic bottle and it was solid hard. Didn't have time to pasturize so I threw it all in the fridge. Popped this growler open about 45 minutes ago and have been sipping this one. Still good carbonation. The champagne yeast is not my bag, but the wife wanted and loves it. A little dry, but would be perfect as a mimosa substitute.

image-3139004081.jpg

Back