oxidized hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rogsterman

Reaction score
I recently keg hopped my IPA with 2 oz of centennial not knowing that the hops were oxidized. I went to work for 12 hours and came back to get a drink and the beer was horrible. The taste was like cardboard/ freezer burn. I thought I would have to get rid of it after reading different threads I saw online. I retrieved the hop bag in the keg and trashed the rest of those hops. I had some columbus that I just bought so I thought I would give it a go and see if I could salvage the beer. I tossed 2.5 ounces in a bag, put it in the keg, poured off about 20 oz of beer, purged it with co2 to get the oxygen out and let it sit for another day. When I came back from work I poured another glass and was happy that the beer was drinkable once again. There was a slight hint of the oxidation at the forefront, but then the malt and citrus kicked in and smoothed it over. I guess I'm lucky to catch it early enough and not give up on losing the batch. From now on, I'm gonna crush some hops and smell them prior to any additions I make. Yogi Berra said it best, "It's never over till it's over.":rockin:

Back